X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Bira: "Server TimeZone Issues"

Originally posted by bira
    [B]Wayne now you managed to confuse me

1) When someone is logged out, what time and in what timezone will he see on the BB? (I can't check because for some reason I can't log out, something is wrong with my IE cookies settings).
    GMT

2) When someone is already registered on the BB, but hasn't previously filled in his tz offset, what time and in what timezone will he see on the BB?
    Default Offset. In your case this should currently be set to Pacific Time. The only way to change this time (as is the case in vB 1.1.X as well) and have it acurrately reflected every where in the system is to change the System Clock, hence my suggestion above. Otherwise date stamps, emails and other features will still reflect the existing system time.

3) I am assuming that when a new user registers, he has to fill in a timezone offset, even if it's just the default GMT (+0)?
    The Timezone isn't a required field. It will default to the default timezone selected in the Control Panel.

Here are three pictures taken in a short period of time....

GMT:

EST:

PST:

The timeoffset works the same way it did in previous versions. vBulletin doesn't know how to keep track of time per se but relies on the System to give it an accurate time. vBulletin will then convert that time into GMT. From there it will change it to the times your members wish to see.

The only difference between 1.1.X and 2.0 in this respect is how you enter in the time offset. In 1.1.X you typed it in. In 2.0 you choose it from a list of valid timezones. However the end result is the same.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

wluke, I found a way to overcome this.

In the user table in MySQL, I changed the properties of the "timezoneoffset" field to default 0. And, in the registration form, I made GMT the "selected" option. This way, those who are already registered on my board but haven't selected a different timezone in the past will get GMT by default (which is what they always got), and the same for new users who can't be bothered to select a different tz. They will get GMT by default, whether they are logged in or not.

Sorry to have bothered you over this - and thank you for clarifying it for me and for helping out.
    Last edited by bira; Mon 19 Feb '01, 6:59pm.

Comment

Something weird happened to me. I had IE 5.5 open in one window, netscape 4.7 in another and Netscape 3.0 in another doing testing of the upgrade. IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.7 both had the same time in it and Netscape had a different time...no idea why. They all said gmt -5 but just had different times listed...

Comment

Netscape 3 can't handle times and dates past the 1-1-2000 properly.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
          Netscape 3 can't handle times and dates past the 1-1-2000 properly.
          Oh! good to know.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X