X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tthurgo
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    If this works, post this in the vB3 Suggestions forum. However do you know if this overwrites the headers on servers that do add this info?
    Well, in my case (or any Qmail+Vpopmail installation that I came accross), this sets the appropriate headers. If you don't specify them, the server sets the return-path to the variables from environment, when you check out a phpinfo() or print_r($_ENV). It's always, [email protected].

Not sure how to tell PHP to customize this. I read a lot about Qmail integration in PHP and set my sendmail_path to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject. None other would work. I googled on the subject and found countless posts of people experiencing the same problems when the switch from a sendmail installation to qmail. So far, this is the only downside to it. But I am really thinking I might disable the use of mail() to users.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    If this works, post this in the vB3 Suggestions forum. However do you know if this overwrites the headers on servers that do add this info?

Leave a comment:

• tthurgo
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    What 'insufficient mail headers' does vB produce? There is nothing in vB that produces the 'Return-Path setting. This is something done on the server level.

Personally I have tried modifying the mail() and vbmail() functions to change the PHP default but I've never been able to get this to work. As Cary said since this involves code modifications the place to ask is at cvbulletin.org.
    Yeah, the problem is that it doesn't specify one. I am running Qmail with Vpopmail and with that combo, that's always the case. I don't know what sendmail does. Maybe it does the job for you, but afaik Qmail doesn't.

I did some heavy research a while back about this and what I want is to specify the return path and so on. If those settings are set to our email address it won't look as borked as now. And it will not be classified spam anyway.
    I already did a couple checks and I sent email from PHP with and without all specified headers and that solved the problem.

Isn't it in your interest to get this fixed? I can probably make the change myself, but I don't want to go in every time I update VB to redo all necessary changes.

Example code:
    PHP Code:
     $email "[email protected]";

$headers  "From: Steve <$email>\r\n";

$headers .= "Reply-To: <$email>\r\n";

$headers .= "Return-Path: <$email>\n";

mail(..., ..., ..., $headers); 
    It's fairly simple. So would vbulletin add this and where would it?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    What 'insufficient mail headers' does vB produce? There is nothing in vB that produces the 'Return-Path setting. This is something done on the server level.

Personally I have tried modifying the mail() and vbmail() functions to change the PHP default but I've never been able to get this to work. As Cary said since this involves code modifications the place to ask is at cvbulletin.org.

Leave a comment:

• tthurgo
    replied
    let's not call it hacking but problem fixing

The problem is still as described above. VB produces insufficient mail headers, what do you propose in terms of support?

Leave a comment:

• Cary
    replied
    For help with hacking, please head on over to http://vbulletin.org

Leave a comment:

• tthurgo
    started a topic spam problem

spam problem

Lot's of the reply and notification emails get classified as SPAM by default. Have seen it on all sorts of VBs. I think the problem is part due to the headers that the email gets.

For example, on our system, the return-path gets sets to the PHP default, because it's not specified. I need some help, I found the vbmail() function, but I need to know if I can hack the return-path in there or if I need to find each part of code where the function itself is called to give it headers as an argument.

Appreciate the help,
    Tom
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X