Backing up database??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up database??

I'm thinking of switching hosts and I'd like to know the proper way to back up vBulletin database. I went to the admin panel and I didn't see an option to gzip the backup from the "Backup Database" option.

Can anyone let me know the proper way to back up the database so I don't lose any posts, forums etc......

Thanks!!

I need to know this as soon as possible.
    Unscripted 360 - Xbox 360 Community Podcast

Just download the one from the Admin panel. This is the best way. You can upload it to the new host and use SSH.

Comment

The best way to backup is through telnet / SSH. Here is a guide for moving servers - http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Comment

when i download from the Admin panel where does it go? i was thinking it would go to a zip file or disk or something....but what is this SSH thing?

Comment

and also, Jakeman

will that guide work for any host/server etc....

Comment

telnet / SSH is a command line connection to a server. Putty is a good telnet / SSH client. Download it here - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

This guide will work on most servers.

Comment

okay...i backed it up and it went to the site as a text file..is that cool? i copied the text file to my desktop...can i still use text file to backup the database from another host when i create the new database?

Comment

The text file is your database backup. You can create backups of other databases the same way you backed up your vBulletin database.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                  The text file is your database backup. You can create backups of other databases the same way you backed up your vBulletin database.
                  Thanks Jakeman,

I really appreciate the help. So the text file can be used with the new database to retrieve all info from the old database...the forums really. I just didn't want to lose any forum posts/subjects etc...

Comment

Restoring the database will create an exact duplicate of the database as it was when you backed it up.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Great! Thanks Steve.

Comment

Difference in backup method?

Backing up the database using the Admin web page vs. the mysqldump command yields a backup file that is 60% bigger.

I have restored database backups created using the admin backup method, but not with the mysqldump command. I assume that both methods can be employed to do the backups, but what is the difference?

Why are the two methods yielding file sizes that are so different?

'Carl

Comment

Are you using --opt when backing up with the mysqldump command? That will reduce the size of the dump file.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X