Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't my smilies automatically inserting themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't my smilies automatically inserting themselves?

If you click on a smilie, when replying to my board, it doesn't automatically insert itself into the message. Although the smilies still work fine, if you manually type them.

Version 2.3.2. There are no hacks installed. But, I've modified the templates, including newthread and newreply. I'm certain that the template modification is causing this, but I can't identify exactly what is the crucial bit of missing html.

Username: ****** (edited, because my problem is resolved)
    Password: ****** (edited, because my problem is resolved)
    Forum Home: ****** (edited, because my problem is resolved)

Would someone please help me trouble-shoot?
    I'll be much obliged. Thanks.
    Last edited by Still Waters; Tue 23 Dec '03, 10:18pm.
    Thanks,
    Still Waters

Make sure your vbcode_buttons template is default - Admin CP -> Templates -> Modify -> [expand list] -> vB Code Templates -> vbcode_buttons.

Then make sure these two files are in your forum directory, vbcode.js and vbcode_language.js

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
      Make sure your vbcode_buttons template is default - Admin CP -> Templates -> Modify -> [expand list] -> vB Code Templates -> vbcode_buttons.

Then make sure these two files are in your forum directory, vbcode.js and vbcode_language.js
      Thanks so much for the help. While looking into your suggestions,
      I discovered that the crucial bit of html is the following:

PHP Code:
      <script language="Javascript" src="vbcode.js"></script>
      <
      script language="Javascript" src="vbcode_language.js"></script>
      <
      style>
      #codebuttons input { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica; font-size: {formtextsize}px; }
      #codebuttons select { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica; font-size: {formtextsize}px; }
      .smilieTable border-width2pxborder-styleoutset; }
      </
      style
      I made sure that my vbcode_buttons template consists
      only of this little bit of code, and now my smilies are
      working properly. Thanks again!
      Thanks,
      Still Waters

Comment

BTW, in case others are interested, I'd like to share the reason why I've edited my vbcode_buttons template in this manner. Many of my forum members suffer from a mild form of cognitive impairment. And they found all the many reply options (the vB code buttons) to be too confusing. Therefore, I created a new style that's a stripped-down version of the regular style. No vB code buttons, no extra options, no posting attachments, no polls, and so on. I hope this info helps other admins with a similar board population.

Thanks again.
        Thanks,
        Still Waters

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waters
          Thanks so much for the help. While looking into your suggestions, I discovered that the crucial bit of html is the following:

PHP Code:
          <script language="Javascript" src="vbcode.js"></script>
          <
          script language="Javascript" src="vbcode_language.js"></script>
          <
          style>
          #codebuttons input { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica; font-size: {formtextsize}px; }
          #codebuttons select { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica; font-size: {formtextsize}px; }
          .smilieTable border-width2pxborder-styleoutset; }
          </
          style
          I made sure that my vbcode_buttons template consists only of this little bit of code, and now my smilies are working properly. Thanks again!
          It works when a user either posts a reply or edits a post.
          But, not when a user starts a new thread.

Could someone please take a peek and see what's the difference? Much appreciated. Please use the following login info, for your convenience.

Username: vBMan
          Password: vBGuest
          Forum Home: www.communityonthe.net/board/
          Thanks,
          Still Waters

Comment

Working...
          X