Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make hyperlink to file with no extension

Hey all,

I am attempting to put a hyperlink in my thread that is directed to a file that I want to have download once they click on the link... I am having no problems with a file that has an extension (like .exe), however, I am trying to do the same thing with a file that has no extension (Macintosh file) and all it does is try to display that file in the browser.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to make this file start downloading like is does in Windows?

Here is what I have for the code:

URL=http://www.mjfiles.com/pub/premade/Mac/15_Talker]Download for Macintosh[/URL (took beginning and end brackets off to display the line of code)

I am thinking that I could attach the file instead, but I need an extension name according to the file attachment options (can we trick it into accepting a blank extension?).

Thanks!!!

Rod

You can put the file into a StuffIt archive (.sit extension). All Macs have StuffIt Expander installed on them.

Comment

Have tried that...

Originally posted by Jakeman
      You can put the file into a StuffIt archive (.sit extension). All Macs have StuffIt Expander installed on them.

Jakeman: I tried that but, the intended recipients have troubles turning on their computer...so the less steps involved the better... on most macs the .sit file will automatically expand... however, I have tried the download on some macs here in the office and it doesn't know what application to use to open it... so my thought is to try to have the file be right there no matter what after downloading it, so all they have to do is double click and it will run.

Any other ideas??

Rodan

Comment

Browsers need a file extension to work with. PC files will work without stuffing or zipping them because all PC files have file extensions. However, not all Mac files have file extensions, namely, "classic" files (OS9 and before).

StuffIt is the standard for Mac downloads. If the downloaded file doesn't automatically expand, then they need to manually open it with StuffIt Expander which should be on their machine already.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X