Showing forums within categories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing forums within categories?

I know I've seen this as I've been watching the development of this go on, but what was the final decision made about showing the forums within the categories on the main page?

I've got a category made, and made in a "non-forum", then added a forum and was hoping it would show up or at least the forum names within that category would show up on the main page.

Too messy? I could see where sub-sub-sub-sub things could get all out of whack.
    Jamie Sandford, editor
    Maxima.org,
    "The Home for Maxima Enthusiasts"
    http://www.maxima.org
    ------------------------------------------

Rolling backup shell script (v2.0)
    Code to fix error when creating custom profile fields (v2.0b2)
    Code to make a bargraph rating instead of stars (v2.0b2)

you can control the depth of forums on the homepage and in showforum.php in the control panel. I don't completly understand what you want to do but i think setting the index.php depth level to 3 will probably do it.
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Thanks for the reply....

Actually that didn't do it. Let's say I've got a category for us called 'Cars', for instance. Under that I have a 'Ford' category. Within 'Ford', I've got 'Pickup' as a forum...

Now, on the main page, can I not have all 3 levels show up? When I changed the setting that you're talking about, all levels still didn't show up.

Could the fact that I used to have the 'Ford' category as a forum be affecting this at all? I just switched the radio option to make it a non-forum.

Thanks!

Originally posted by chrispadfield
      you can control the depth of forums on the homepage and in showforum.php in the control panel. I don't completly understand what you want to do but i think setting the index.php depth level to 3 will probably do it.
      Jamie Sandford, editor
      Maxima.org,

Comment

Just tested this with all new categories and forums and that "converted forum" hypothesis I had didn't hold water. Still no dice.

Originally posted by JWS
        Thanks for the reply....

Actually that didn't do it. Let's say I've got a category for us called 'Cars', for instance. Under that I have a 'Ford' category. Within 'Ford', I've got 'Pickup' as a forum...

Now, on the main page, can I not have all 3 levels show up? When I changed the setting that you're talking about, all levels still didn't show up.

Could the fact that I used to have the 'Ford' category as a forum be affecting this at all? I just switched the radio option to make it a non-forum.

Thanks!

Jamie Sandford, editor
        Maxima.org,

Comment

The install comes with a default of two levels of forums.

If you wish to increase this you will have to make some new templates.

If you look in the template list you will notice templates with names like:
          forumhome_forumbit_level1_post
          forumhome_forumbit_level1_nopost

Simply make new templates with these names and change the 1 to the appropriate level to get them to show up.

You will have to do the same thing for the:
          forumdisplay_forumbit_level1_post
          templates.

How many templates you will need to create all depends on your settings
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I have the opposite problem and can't figure out how to get rid of all the clutter.

On the main page
            http://www.eastcoasthonda.org/public_html/echmain/index.php?

I want it to only display one category within a category. So for example, The Tech Forum, I want it to only display the categories "Acura Tech Forum" and "Honda Tech Forum" but not list EVERY sub-category or forum contained within those two.

but at the same time, I only want it to display 1 category deep and not affect forums. so that when you click on "Acura Tech Forum" it shows all the categories and forums like here:
            http://www.eastcoasthonda.org/public...splay.php?f=19

I just want to reduce the amount of clutter on the main page. Thanks in advance for any help!

-edit-

Also thought I'd mention that I'm running v3.0.3 and accidentally posted this in the V2 section. sorry
            Last edited by ACCLUDE; Tue 7th Dec '04, 5:21pm.

Comment

Acclude,

Please start a new thread in the correct forum. Thanks.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X