Problems on 1st install, blank pages, CP works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems on 1st install, blank pages, CP works

Hey everyone, This is my first installation of VB, but I don't think I'm making any noob mistakes.

the config.php file is just fine, but here is what I've done so far:

I've went thru the install.php, everything worked great... then I downloaded the import scripts, and imported my backup PHPbb database... everything went fine there... I can use the /admin and /mod control panels, but when trying to view the forum, everything is blank, and the view source shows everything empty between the <body> tags.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    From the admin CP, everything looks in order, and the CP works great... so I'm naturally lost in this situation. This is my test install before I even attempt in on the live forum site currently running PHPbb. Plus, I've had to start with 2.3.3 so I could import the PHPbb scripts, then I'll go to 3 gamma.

TIA for any help or suggestions.

Make sure there is no whitespace or extras lines in config.php either before the <?php or after the ?>. If you still have this problem then reupload the original php file. Make sure you upload in ASCII and overwrite the ones on the server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay, I recreated the config.php, made sure it uploaded in ASCII, and still the same... but it must be reading the config.php to enable the Admin CP to be functioning properly... hmmm....

By looking at the DB through PHPmyAdmin, everything looks okay, and I ran the repair script just to make sure, and they all tested okay.

Comment

White pages are almost always a problem with the php file. As I said the next step is to reupload the original files.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay... all the original PHP files have been re-uploaded, and the effect is still the same. The CP is working, and pulling data... but nothing on the index, or forum pages. :S

I looked over the "Blank Pages FAQ", and nothing there seemed to work, or be related to part of the VB system working, and another not...

I reloaded the / root directory files, and the /admin files, and still don't see a change...

Comment

AFAIK this is still a php file issue. Here's another thread in which someone thought they were uploading in ASCII but it turns out they weren't:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...589#post575589

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Well, I uploaded everything 4 times, and I have been working with PHP for several years, and have in many cases had to use ASCII specifically to upload the files, and never ran into a problem like this one...

I went ahead, since the install and import from PHPbb worked, and uploaded the 3 Gamma release, and ran the upgrade from 2.3.3 to 3 gamma, and that all worked fine, and the test board is working....

Now I've got to jump over there and start firing some questions. It makes it hard to know where some things messed up though... like links in PHPbb posts no longer being links, since I never got to see the board in 2.3.3, and it went straigt from PHPbb >> vb2.3.3 database >> 3 gamma. I couldn't browse to see if there were problems with the 2.3.3 upgrade for me.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X