How to provide unique per-forum new thread submission forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to provide unique per-forum new thread submission forms

I am a newcomer to vB, therefore I apologize if my question seems repetetive of what had been asked before even though I tried to search through this forum for similar posts.

Here it is. I understand one may grant privileges to open new threads (or queue them for moderator's approval) on a per-forum basis. That's great. However, I am curious if an easy way exists to customize the new thread submission page on a per-forum basis.

Let me explain. Say, in one forum I want the users to open new threads as they please, free-form. However, in one forum I want initial posts (new thread posts) to be highly structured. I could plead with the users to do it that way, but we all know it's like herding cats, it's just not going to happen. Another possibility is to queue them for approval and then fix them before accepting them, but that may require considerable resource and time. I would rather face users with a form that has fields that need to be filled just so. I could, of course, create an appropriate form in html or php, but I don't want (if I don't have to) to mess with the original code too much and fork it based on which forum it is used in (and I am not sure my limited PHP skills would not lead to problems here).

Any advice?

Ps: The only thread I found on this issue was a more or less unanswered question from over a year ago.

I'm not sure I properly understand your question, but I think it could be accomplished by setting each forum to a different style, which overrides a user's default setting, and then changing the newthread templates to however you want. It might also require a bit of hacking. Of course, doing this would take away from the user a freedom to choose whatever style set they wanted.
    Fool's Gold: Discussion of rock 'n' roll, movies, A Song of Ice and Fire, Discworld, The Wheel of Time, The Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, literature, games, and more. It's ace.

Last.FM * LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Freed
      I'm not sure I properly understand your question
      Let's say in one forum I want the user to have the free-form input box (like the one I am typing in now). In another forum, while opening a new thread, I would prefer the user to have a <FORM> with rigidly structured fields (no freestyle descriptive text input).
      I think it could be accomplished by setting each forum to a different style, which overrides a user's default setting, and then changing the newthread templates
      Thanks. That will give me direction to explore. There is a lot to learn about vB.

Comment

Yeah, that's basically what you'd have to do then. Unless you wanted to hack the board - it'd be possible, but probably rather complicated. However, it's the only way you'd be able to allow users to use different colour sets. You'd get a better answer for hacking-related questions over at vBulletin.org, though.
        Fool's Gold: Discussion of rock 'n' roll, movies, A Song of Ice and Fire, Discworld, The Wheel of Time, The Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, literature, games, and more. It's ace.

Last.FM * LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Freed
          Yeah, that's basically what you'd have to do then.
          Excellent. I will be move that direction, then.
          However, it's the only way you'd be able to allow users to use different colour sets.
          I guess that would be a lesser priority for me.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X