Kind of a weird question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of a weird question

I currently own one license, and am using it for one set of forums. I want to eventually change these forums over to a different name, host, basically start anew. But I still want to be able to keep the member names, or at least find some way to have them automatically re-registered at the new forums.

Would I be able to go with a clean install, import the members, delete the old set and then upgrade to vB3? Because the current set of forums has all sorts of modifications and SQL changes that I want to get rid of.

Basically I'm asking if it's OK to have one used set of forums, and then an unused set, and then just kind of switch by closing one down and opening one up.

And just changing the name and URL of the current forums won't work, which seems like the obvious solution, but this way would cause a lot less problems.

Removing hacks isn't as easy as doing a "clean install" and importing (importing being the hard part). I have posted instructions in this thread for removing different kinds of hacks - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86571

A guide for moving servers is located here - http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

If you have any specific questions about either process please let me know.

Comment

Now what if I wanted to have the other vB on the same server? The reason I ask is because I have the shop hack on the current one, and I'd want it on the new one, but all the current 'points' would be cleared because a) posting would start fresh and b) the values of each topic/reply would be way different.

Comment

Since that involves a hack you should ask over at vbulletin.org.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The main point of this question is if it's OK to have 2 different vB's running, one of which will only be accessible by me until it's ready, at which point I will close the old one...

Comment

Yes, you can set up a test forum for this purpose. Place it in a directory named 'testvb' and make sure it's not publicly accessible.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Except I'm eventually going to be using it... at which point the old forum won't be used anymore... so putting it in a 'testvb' directory and then having to change that at a later date is going to cause some problems...

Comment

Why should it? Just rename that directory when you're ready.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Wont the paths be all messed up then?

Comment

Not unless you hard coded any paths. All you'll need to do is update the URL to your forums with the new directory name.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X