Issues with cookies and frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with cookies and frames

I have 2 separate issues. I have 2 boards on the same domain. One resides at /community and the other at /forums.

The 2 boards seem to be confused where cookies are concerned. My initial members at the new board are all members at the first board. People are getting logged out when they switch between boards.

I set the cookie paths on each board to /community and /forums, then I had them delete their cookies. It doesn't seem to have helped. Some members are not even able to post because they are not able to log in at all.

Also, I have a problem and I don't really know how to solve it. Ideally, the new board should load in the bottom content frame of a site on another domain. I realized too late that this will mess up e-mail notifications. Is there no hope for this board?

I would recreate the top frame as static HTML on the board header, but then I can't link back to anything inside the bottom frame. I can't help thinking I am missing something simple here. This can't be the only board in history that needs to open in a frame, right?

try making this forums subdomains, this usualy helps to clear out the problems, and if your running 2 coppys of vb you do need to have to licenses

Comment

I am not sure what you mean.... do you mean community.domain.com instead of domain.com/community?

And I do have 2 licenses.

Comment

i didnt mean to accuse

yes try community.domain.com instead of domain.com/community

Comment

Originally posted by Faranth
          i didnt mean to accuse

yes try community.domain.com instead of domain.com/community
          My cPanel isn't cooperating right now, so I haven't done this yet... but can you explain why you think this will help? The subdomain will just point to the same folder that people are going to directly, right? What will change?

Comment

you need to set a cookie path on the boards to stop them overwriting each other.
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
              you need to set a cookie path on the boards to stop them overwriting each other.
              Like I said.. each board has a cookie path. Perhaps I am not setting them correctly??

On the board at /forums, the cookie path is /forums. On the board at /community, the cookie path is /community. There is nothing saved in cookie domain for either of them.

I REALLY don't want to move the board to a new domain because I've already set it up how I want it.

Aside from the cookie issue, there is also the frame issue. I am afraid I won't be able to use vBulletin right now if I can't get that worked out.

Comment

I think the problem is with frames. Those cookie paths should work if the forums are not in frames. The other option is trying what Faranth wrote and to change the Cookie Domain for each board.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  I think the problem is with frames. Those cookie paths should work if the forums are not in frames. The other option is trying what Faranth wrote and to change the Cookie Domain for each board.
                  I am just so frustrated.. I appreciate the help here. I went ahead and tried to build the top frame into vBulletin so the switch between framed and non-framed would be seamless.. but vBulletin is adding a top buffer to the board.

I have not been in messing with styles enough to know there this is coming from. Maybe someone here who has done this before can help.

The board is here: http://www.kidcentrix.com/community/

The logo and the images of the babies on the right side are aligned to the top and they should be flush with the top of the browser. They are correct when I preview outside of vBulletin. I can't see an extra table row anywhere in there that would bump them down.

If I can just get them bumped back up, then I can live with the minor inconvenience of the messed up navigation. Then MAYBE the cookies will work better with it outside the frame.

Comment

OK... frame stuff is figured out.... we shall see if that helps the cookie issue. I may be back.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X