Board Crash - Lost Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Crash - Lost Users

One of the boards that I maintain I have experienced a crash today.

The board is now up and running with a rebuild of the users table, but several high posting accounts are now lost.

The quick solutions was to get these people to re-register but now they have lost their post count, any old posts assoicated with their name etc.

When you view their losts posts, it shows their name and underneath is Guest.

Is there anything that I can do or run that will do a search and any guest who has a user name of XXX, assoicate it with the new userid of YYY?

I apprichate that this is not a bug in vBulletin but caused by a server failure, however any help would be great here.

Many thanks.

can you link me to the board and let me look at a few things before I give an answer here?

An admin user/pass would be needed, so I would recommend sending a support ticket to [email protected]
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
      can you link me to the board and let me look at a few things before I give an answer here?

An admin user/pass would be needed, so I would recommend sending a support ticket to [email protected]
      Martin,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I've sent you a PM with a lot of details about who I am and what board this is. I am at work an unable to raise a support request as I don't have all the info with me and I cannot send external emails either ATM.

Thanks.

Comment

I think the only way you're going to recover this is to get the affected people to reregister with the same, or even different, names, then run a query to associate their old posts with the new username
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

I think the only way you're going to recover this is to get the affected people to reregister with the same, or even different, names, then run a query to associate their old posts with the new username
          I assume that this would be a single query for each post?

Is there anyway I can run one if "name=xxx" then associate that post with user yyy and do them on mass?

Comment

no, it could probably be set up as a query per user.

Im just pulling this off the top of my head so it's untested, but it would be something like this:

UPDATE post SET userid = [new userid] WHERE username = [old username] AND title = guest

If they register a new username you would also have to run something like this:

UPDATE post SET username = [new username] WHERE username = [old username]

I would definitely try this on a test copy of the board before trying it live, and as always, back up your database prior to running any queries on it
            Last edited by Martin; Sat 22 Nov '03, 1:15pm.
            Webmaster:
            @forumz

Comment

Martin,

This is great, many thanks.

I shall "trash" the test copy of a board I have at home and give this a shot. If works, backup the live board and then try it.

Cheers.

Comment

no, it could probably be set up as a query per user.

Im just pulling this off the top of my head so it's untested, but it would be something like this:

UPDATE post SET userid = [new userid] WHERE username = [old username] AND title = guest

If they register a new username you would also have to run something like this:

UPDATE post SET username = [new username] WHERE username = [old username]

I would definitely try this on a test copy of the board before trying it live, and as always, back up your database prior to running any queries on it
                Martin,

Thanks for this, it work based on what you had sent.

What I ran was...

UPDATE post SET userid = [new userid] WHERE username = [old username] and then updated counters. This worked absolutely fine on a test board and equally perfect on the live board.

Thank you.

Comment

Already tried tools like http://www.mysqlfront.de ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X