Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some advice about changing servers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice about changing servers...

Hello,

I am a novice at this... so please be gentile! haha

Ok.. I am planning to switch my website to a different host. In the process I am planning a new "look" for the site. Kind of a 2004 Edition/Revision. Also in the process I want to upgrade to the latest version of vbulletin and ADD vbPortal and PhotoPost PHP (or something similar) to my website.

Here is my question... 1st. Am I nuts?? LOL haha

I have already uploaded all the vbulletin softare and have a working forum on the new site. I have started to update the colors, templates, and so on, to make it look like I want it to look. Can I continue to update the look, then add the VbPortal and PhotoPost scripst and get them running THEN when everything is up and looks as though its running attempt to transfer over my Forums, Member Info, and the 80,000 posts from my "old" server??

I need some advice here on what I should do and when.... I am a quick learner but know very little about these systems. But I have had our site up and running for quite a while now and have installed the software on the new server without a hitch. But I have never attempted to transfer the files over to another server before... so I dont know whats involved! Any help would be appreciated!!!

Also... does Support @ vbulletin.com offer a service where I can pay to have everything transfered over for me? That way I know its done rite?

Thanks for your help!!
    I am sure I'll have more questions once you reply!
    Donnie

By the way... here are my forums so you can see...
    this is the old one: http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/
    this is the "new" one I just started (under construction): http://216.120.233.47/forums/
    Last edited by Donnie; Mon 17 Nov '03, 8:23am.

We can't really provide official support for hacks and hacked forums. However here are the instructions for moving your forums from one server to another:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What is considered a "hacked" forum? Is mine "hacked" now? If it means not getting support I wont add the Vbportal or the PhotoPHP. I can do that later if needed.... I guess it really doesnt matter.

Thanks...
      Donnie

Comment

Adding PhotoPosty, vBPortal or any thrid-party integration is hacking, as is modifying any of the original PHP code in the vB files. Obviously we cannot provide official support for forums running code we did not write.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

ok... that sound reasonable....
          As of now I dont think I have added or changed any of the PHP code... so I should still be able to get support, Correct?

If so....
          Then is it ok for me to finish changing the styles on my new board and transfer all the forum content, members and such, later?

Also....
          Should I do all this work now... or wait until the new Vb 3.0 comes out? I dont know much about it... but it seems to have a lot of cool new features... Will I be able to just as easily transfer over all the posts I have in vb 2.3?

Comment

I'm kind of confused by what you are asking. It really doesn't make any difference if you move your forums while you are running vB 2.3.3 or after you upgrade to vB3. The process will be identical.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X