Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How is this possible?

I have vB 2.3.0

A week or so ago, I noticed while looking at "who's online" that someone had access to an area that said "Location Unknown" with a URL that takes you to the admin control panel. Tonight I had another person access the same place.........so I printed the screen on both occasions to share and hopefully get some help.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Files

It looks like someone is trying to access some moderator functions directly and they are getting the 'no permission' page.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

We also can only guess the same thing. The thing that has thrown us off........the second user that has accessed this area posted for the first time tonight..........his post said "it works!". The reply this person made had nothing to do with anything on the subject matter where it was posted. It makes us think someone has come up with a way around the login for the admin panel.......

Comment

What happens when you try to access the same URL - both as an Admin and as a registered user?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

When I go to the URL of each of the two users I am questioning, I go to the admin panel to their profile (respectively, for the two users). When I attempt to go to the URL as a normal registered guest, it takes me to the permissions page.

Comment

thats correct.

Its something thats been corrected in vB3.

Due to the way the vB2 system works it doesn't correctly differentiate between a No Permission page and them actually viewing the page.

In this case there getting the no permission page but no check was actually put in the who's online panel since it isn't expected.
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I was actually under the impression, from my work hacking online.php, that Who's Online only displayed that when users were accessing things that weren't actually covered by online.php.

At any rate, admins are the only ones who see the Unknown Location, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with whether the user has permission to access that or not. You've probably installed some hack that hasn't actually modified online.php, and since Who's Online doesn't know how to handle it, it just shows you the Unknown Location thingy. Registered users just see them as viewing the main index. It's really nothing to worry about.
              Fool's Gold: Discussion of rock 'n' roll, movies, A Song of Ice and Fire, Discworld, The Wheel of Time, The Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, literature, games, and more. It's ace.

Last.FM * LiveJournal

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X