Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum, please move it if so.

I've been reading on other sites about a lot of sites being hacked that use PHPNuke. Is vBulleting vulnerable to such hacks? I just want to make sure my board is as secure as possible.

When I did my install, I did it exactly as the instructions asked. Permissions are set at what the install guide asked and haven't changed since. Does anything else need to be done to make the board more secure? (transparent to visitors of course).

I know, I'm a bit paranoid, but there's been a lot of hacking going on lately. Just looking to make sure I've done all I can on my side.

BTW - my site is hosted on Powweb's shared servers, so I don't have any access other than FTP and WWW.

Thanks!

There are no known security issues in vB 2.3.2. Without knowing how phpNuke is being hacked it's difficult to know what to say about this. You should note though that f your server is
    being compromised then there is nothing in vB that will stop a hacker from taking over.

Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Upgrade to the latest version.
    2. Do not install any hacks
    3. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
    4. Make sure the getadmin.php file is NOWHERE on your website
    5. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
    6. Inform your host of these hack attempts and ask them to check the logs to see when your account was accessed.
    7. Also ask your host to change the login password for your account
    8. Change all your Admin and Mod passwords.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X