X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Fred

• Fred
    replied
    Yes, that can be done. Simple editing of the forumhome template will do it.

Leave a comment:

• JoshFink

• JoshFink
    replied
    Is there anyway to limit the main forum screen when you come in to only one category or a limited subset of forums?

Josh

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can edit the forum jump box in the PHP code to do as you wish.

As for a search feature, this would have to be coded in.

Leave a comment:

• JoshFink

• JoshFink
    replied
    Now isn't that interesting.. How did I miss that?

I still want only the "General" category to come up and not every forum and category. Is there any way to do that?

Is there anyway to limit the "Jump To" to just categories and not the forums underneath each category.

also, is there anyway to have some kind of search function where it would allow the user to type in let's say : "vbull" and it brings back all the categories that match that..

I know.. A lot of questions, but I do appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Josh
    JoshFink
    Last edited by JoshFink; Wed 14 Feb '01, 9:22pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Yeah.. just choose any category out of the forum jump at the bottom of each screen here.

Leave a comment:

• JoshFink

• JoshFink
    replied
    Ok....

What I really want is this :
    [Drop down list box of all categories]

[General]
    - Forum 1
    - Forum 2
    - Forum 3

So, when the user comes into the forum, it has one Category (general) with three forums underneath it.

Now, there might be 25 categories, each with 5 forums underneath it but they will only see the general category for now.

Once they drop down the Drop Down List with all the categories in it and select one, it opens up a new screen with just their category and the forums associated with it.

Does that make sense?

Josh

Leave a comment:

• Joe

• Joe
    replied
    Ok, i have read your posts a half dozen times now, and im still not 100% sure i understand

Instead of the forums being listed, you want them in a drop down box? But you still want categorys shown?

ie:

(Category 1)
    -[drop down box of all forums in Category 1)
    (Category 2)
    -[drop down box of all forums in Category 2)
    (Category 3)
    -[drop down box of all forums in Category 3)

So in the above example, if you had 20 forums in each category (60 total) your forumhome page would still only be 6 tables long (one for each category & drop down box)

Am i close? If so, i believe it wouldnt be very hard to hack the templates to do this. If im totaly off, im sorry, its late

Leave a comment:

• JoshFink

• JoshFink
    replied
    Anyone?

To make this easier to understand, let's use the vBulletin Community Forum as an example.

There are 9 or so categories on the page:
    vBulletin
    vBulletin 2.0
    vBulletin 1.1.x
    etc...

I want to be able to have them all in a drop down box so that someone can just open the box and go directly to their forum.

Ideally I would like to have it so that the user when they come in only comes up to one forum, let's call it "General Info", they go to the drop down box, select their forum (security is not really an issue, just size of the main page) and it takes them to their forum and only their forum. Chances are, the users will not be interested in the other forums at all.

Hope this makes a little more sense and someone can help me out and tell me whether this is possible and if it is not available if it is something that would be able to be done with a hack.

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Leave a comment:

• JoshFink

• JoshFink
    started a topic Curious if VBulletin Can do this....

Curious if VBulletin Can do this....

I want to be able to have unlimited categories, or in my case entities. Each entity will be the same in that it will have the same forums underneath it, but it will be different enough that it needs to be seperated from the others. As I see it now , all the forums are set up like this :

Category 1
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    Category 2
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E

What I want to do is have a drop down list or a search function that will allow you to find your category instead of scrolling way down the page. I think that there could be upwards of thousands of different categories (entities) and it would be disorganized then.

Thanks for the help,

Josh