Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Images showing up where they don't belong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    There are programs available that find, block and remove adware. Do a Google search.

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    If this is showing up in your Admin CP it has nothing to do with vB.
    Well I'm glad we reached this consensus. So what do I do now then, tell my members nothing cause it's not a vBulletin problem?? Somebody has to know what to do to stop adware or get rid of it all together.

Leave a comment:

• Oricon
    replied
    sounds exactly like adware now

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    If this is showing up in your Admin CP it has nothing to do with vB.

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Originally posted by UHN_ED
    If you viewed the source code and the image is not in the code then it is a problem on your computer.

It is possible that adware installed on your computer is doing this. There are programs (and plug-ins for Mozilla) that can remove certain elements from a page, such as ads; there are also programs (adware) that can add things to the page.
    Hmmm, Well I never saw anything until I downloaded a pop-up blocker. Then I saw that holiday image in the admin CP. Is that considered adware? What else is considered adware? I'll need to tell my members.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• UHN_ED
    replied
    If you viewed the source code and the image is not in the code then it is a problem on your computer.

It is possible that adware installed on your computer is doing this. There are programs (and plug-ins for Mozilla) that can remove certain elements from a page, such as ads; there are also programs (adware) that can add things to the page.

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Well, I have seen one now for the first time and strangely enough it happened in my test forum's admin control panel. The vBulletin logo was replaced with a holiday logo. Below is one the images:

I made this one bigger to include the url in the screen cap. If you want the username and password I will PM those to you. Once again, I am seeing this in my test forum's admin control panel.

Also as soon as I saw it I viewed the source code and it is not in there either. I have attached the source code.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Verity; Sun 9 Nov '03, 1:21pm.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    What's the URL to one of the threads with these images? If it does not show up in the HTML source for that page, then it's got to be something on their end.

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Well HTML is now off, and the weird images are still there. Should people clear their cookies and delete their temp internet files? Would that work?

Sorry to keep on with this but it's highly frustrating that my members have to be frustrated to be on my forum when they should be enjoying themselves. I am open to anything (within reason of course) to solve this problem.

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Nevermind. lol I got it taken care of or at least I'm sure I did. In that little Forum Rules: box the HTML now says it's off.

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Ok so I'm just going to turn off HTML all together. However, how do I do that? I thought I turned it off in the admin cp which it did turn off HTML in signatures but it doesn't appear to be turned off completely. For example here near the bottom of the screen is the little Forum Rules: box. Where it says You may post new threads, and so on then it says HTML code is off, vB code is on and such. Well at my board the HTML part says it's still on.

So apparently I haven't turned it off in the correct place. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Originally posted by squall14716
    Sounds like someone is running it through those online scripts that does odd things to a page. Have you actually seen those images, and did all those pictures come from the same user?
    I personally have not seen any weird images, and only a handful of my members have not seen them either. The images posted above were captured by 4 different users whom actually took it upon themselves to take a screen cap. Other members have seen weird images as well, but did not get screen caps.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Sounds like someone is running it through those online scripts that does odd things to a page. Have you actually seen those images, and did all those pictures come from the same user?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Allowing HTML is a security risk and can also result in all sorts of strange formatting issues, including your image problem. As long as you allow HTML you are putting your forums at risk.

As to why this is an option, many customers are on private servers or run totally private forums in which the member base can all be trusted.

Leave a comment:

• Verity
    replied
    Originally posted by WDWInsider
    Well, judging on the log in page I think you've been hacked!
    Actually that was a one time thing. The user that captured that image hasn't seen it since. But it is highly weird that allowing HTML would cause THAT to happen on the log in page.

Leave a comment: