time is crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time is crazy

We just installed vB2.0 at www.thestands.com and we are having a lot of troubles with time offset. In the control panel it is set to USA Eastern Standard Time which is 5 hours from Central Europe I believe. But it shows up different. For hours I have been trying to get the time right but am not having any luck. This is very frustrating. What is the problem here?

I'm having the same problem .. users not logged in get the default GMT time (not my control panel default of GMT -5:00) but when they log in, the time offset is correct.

Comment

Yes, they seem to be off by 5 hours.

Comment

my time is off by ten minutes- not sure what's up with that

Comment

Originally posted by brookelyn
          my time is off by ten minutes- not sure what's up with that
          Mine is off 6 minutes - darn server clock

Comment

The system will always adjust the time to GMT. This is so the various timezones actually work the way they are set up. If you look at the bottom of your system it will say "The time is GMT -X hours"
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

So what is the problem? and why is mine 5 hours off?

Comment

I have mine set onto GMT for UK Time but gives me a major incorrect time. (5 hours behind or forward)

My server is based in the US which is 5 hours behind.

Anyone know what I can do to get the UK Time?

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
                  The system will always adjust the time to GMT. This is so the various timezones actually work the way they are set up. If you look at the bottom of your system it will say "The time is GMT -X hours"
                  Yeah, if you're logged in it will. Try logging out and looking at the time.

It will say "All Times Are GMT" - although the Admin is set to EST. So people visiting for the first time can get really confused if they don't look all the way down at the bottom.

-jim

Comment

I didn't consider it much of a problem because the time is correct for those that logged in and is set to their proper timezone. At least on the servers I have visited.

If someone wants to change their server to GMT it would have to be done at the OS level. Our server is set to Eastern time and all time correctly reflect the timeoffset chosen by registered members. Those people that are guests have to deal with GMT but having the time offset automatically for you is one of the benefits of registering.

I don't see how it can be confusing unless you put somewhere else that all times are in a specific timezone. Which was valid in previous versions of the software but is no longer so.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by pgoodman
                      So what is the problem? and why is mine 5 hours off?
                      You are correct in that your time is off by 5 hours. Make sure your time offset is set to -5.

At the command line you can bash time to check and verify that the server time is correct. vBulletin simply takes the server time and modifies it according to the offsets presented to it.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by John Harrison
                        I have mine set onto GMT for UK Time but gives me a major incorrect time. (5 hours behind or forward)

My server is based in the US which is 5 hours behind.

Anyone know what I can do to get the UK Time?
                        Actually your vBulletin currently displays Pacific time instead of GMT. Make sure your time Offset is -5

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

okay guys, i want to display my server time to guests. my bb is not for the whole world to use, as its impossible to get more than 700 users at a time in any bb anyway. so, how do I put my server time to guests to see, with a 'gmt x' or not, i dont care. ill install swatch's internet time later and everyone can be happy then. ill hack it if i must, just say me how.
                          Last edited by Dream; Sun 18 Mar '01, 3:44pm.
                          Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

I have to agree with Dream here ... I want my visitors (not logged in) to see the local server time, NOT GMT ... The config lets us select the time offset of the server, as well as "text" of the time zone to display to guests --- but these settings do not appear to be working.

Guests should get the time zone I define.
                            Members should get the time zone they pick in their config.

-Jim

Comment

When I set the time in the admin cp to be GMT-5 (my time), and then set my personal cp time as GMT-5, What is displayed on my main page (when I'm logged in) is GMT time.

In order for me to have the correct time displayed, I need to set the admin cp to GMT and my setting to GMT-5.

Anyone know if I did something wrong or if that's just the way it is?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X