Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Forums

Hi

I set up a private forum on my boards for me and my (now ex) girlfriend to be able to chat privatly (it was a long distance relationship).

When we broke up, I agreed to delete the entire forum (nothing dirty in there just private stuff) and so I did.

My trouble is somebody has informed me that if they click on my (or my ex's) profile and select "search for all posts by user" anybody at all can read the messages!!

I am using version 2.2.7 and am wondering:

1. Is this a known issue?
    2. How do I fix this?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I did have a look around to see if there are any threads dealing with this but couldnt see anything.

If the posts no longer exist (i.e. you deleted the forum & all posts), then there is no possible way someone is reading them from the search engine.

There is a known issue in 2.x with permissions; if you set permissions for a parent forum and let it cascade down to subforums, people may be able to see thread titles of threads that they have no access to. The solution is to set permissions individually for each forum. However as I said above, if the forum & posts don't exist, the search engine couldn't possibly be showing them.

(At any rate I would upgrade to 2.3.2 as it fixes bugs & security issues in versions < 2.3.2.)

Comment

I thought that but have done the search myself and seen all the posts in the "preview" window. If I then click to view the entire post an error message comes up.

When I deleted the forum, I didnt delete individual posts. I just went to the admin control panel and deleted the forum (which wasn't a sub-forum btw). Does this mean the posts are still hanging around in the background??

To get around this for the moment I have disabled the search function but would rather get rid of the posts altogether!!

(I know I should upgrade but will probably wait until the public release of v3!).

Comment

Ok somebody has given me more advice on this issue. They have told me that I need to empty the table that holds the search results? Does anyone know what this is called and how to delete the results contained in it?

Thanks.

Comment

To remove the searches, first backup your database then run this query:

DELETE FROM search;
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sorry to be stupid but where do I run that to? I am no expert with this sort of stuff!

Thanks

Comment

Run it in the SQL tab in phpMyAdmin.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have done that but the post previews are still showing when I run a "search all posts" for either myself or my ex-girlfriend.

I went into phpmyadmin, clicked the SQL tab and copied and pasted "DELETE FROM search;" into the box.

Still though the posts are viewable. Is there anything else I can try?

Comment

remember your an admin, so you can see thiungs others dont, you might want to rebuild the search index.

this might clear it out

Comment

Working...
                  X