New install - Existing database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New install - Existing database

My organization has purchased a new license and the existing vB forum will be moved to a new server and url. We would like to use the existing database.

Is it possible to do a new install and have it work with an existing database (same VB version) that is located on a different server?

When using a database that is on a different server how would I edit config.php to log onto the other server that is not localhost even if it were an empty db?

TIA
    The CFI Floorums
    Message Board Forums to Serve the Floor Covering Community

If you use an existing database and the versions are the same, then all you need to do is upload the files and edit config.php to point to the existing db.

As for logging into another server, you'll need to put that server's name in the $servername variable. However please note that this server will need to be configured to accept remote connections from your server. You can't force this connection on your end.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm getting this error-
      Warning: mysql_connect(): Unknown MySQL Server Host 'http' (11001) in D:\domains\org-cfi-installers\WWW\message_board\admin\db_mysql.php on line 40

The message board will be at cfi-installers.org (new license) and the database is at cfifloorums.com (existing old license). Would the $servername variable be something unique as opposed to just the url of the site?
      The CFI Floorums

Comment

Try:

cfifloorums.com

...as the server name. Don't use 'http'. If this doesn't work then you'll need to ask the host of cfifloorums.com to configure that server to allow remote connections from your new server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Did you try doing a fresh install of vB and then uploading a copy of your DB Through phpmyadmin?

Comment

I tried a new install (my preference) but can't get past step three because I either have the wrong variables or can't connect to the db server- or both.

I prefer to keep the database where it is but I did try uploading a copy using phpMyAdmin- import, to an empty database on the same server (just to see if I could) but it didn't work for me.

I've tried a number of options in the $servername variable. There could very well be another explaination for this, but I'm interpreting these error messages as saying there is no connection because it's looking for a non-existant db in the wrong place. Could it be that the file db_mysql.php needs to be edited to reflect something other than var $server = "localhost"; The file says"do NOT fiddle unless you know what you are doing." That's put in there for guys like me. So I'm just inquiring.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xx.xxx.xx.xx' (10060) in D:\domains\org-cfi-installers\WWW\message_board\admin\db_mysql.php on line 40

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\domains\org-cfi-installers\WWW\message_board\admin\db_mysql.php on line 40
            The CFI Floorums

Comment

This is still the same issue. As I said if that MySQL server does not accept remote connections from your server then you won't be able to access it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X