Replace and/or Template set...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace and/or Template set...

What is the difference between between selecting "Replacement Set" verses "Template Set" when I am creating a new style for my board?

What I would like to do id make a copy of a current style that I have on my board and then make some slight changes to that style/set and then call it by a new name. How would I do that?
    :p -=Xube ®
    ...it's just technology

Replacement Set is for the replacements that go with each style. (Admin CP > Replacements > Modify)

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
      Replacement Set is for the replacements that go with each style. (Admin CP > Replacements > Modify)
      Thanks... so if I just want to create a duplicate of one of my current styles I can just select that original style from the dropdown menu

AdminCP > Styles > Add Style >

Name it something.... NewStyleName

Dropdown menu (Template Set): Default

(Do I have to make a selection from the other
      dropdown menu called Replacement Set)
      Last edited by Xube; Thu 30 Oct '03, 7:02pm.
      ...it's just technology

Comment

Do you want the duplicate style to use existing Replacement and Template sets (in which case it will share them) or its own R&T sets?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Do you want the duplicate style to use existing Replacement and Template sets (in which case it will share them) or its own R&T sets?
          Ok, a couple of things...

1). What are the different functions of the "replacement sets" and "Template sets"? I guess I don't fully understand what these things mean. I have worked with my templates often, but (I don't think... I've done anything related to the "replacement sets"...?)

2). Will try to answer your question (without knowing the difference of the 2 things above...): I want to be able to create a different display & look (so if "sharing" them will mean they won't be able to look different, I guess I don't want to share them (?)
          ...it's just technology

Comment

Found this from Jakeman...
            Originally posted by Jakeman
            A style consists of a replacement set and a template set. The replacement set defines all of the colors, font sizes, etc. The template set contains all of the html code (layout).

You can have styles that use the same replacement / template sets if you want. For example, if you want a style with the same layout as another style but with different colors, then you would have the new style use the same template set but a different replacement set.

Does that help?
            So it appears I want to create a new template set AND a new replacement set for maximum design flexibility. When I do this will the new sets be created (duplicated) from my current existing (modified) default set... or will they be created from the (unchanged) original vBulletin default coding sets?
            ...it's just technology

Comment

New sets will be created from the original default sets.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

New sets will be created from the original default sets.
                Great, one final question on this... Isn't there supposed to be a place in the user control panels that allows users to select which board style they would like to view the board in? Is this something that I need to turn on somewhere in the admin control panel before users can see it as an option? If so, where is it located in the Admin CP? Thanks for all the help.
                ...it's just technology

Comment

Set 'Allow Users To Change Styles' to 'Yes' in the vBulletin Options section of the Admin CP. You also need to make sure the styles are set to be user-selectable.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Set 'Allow Users To Change Styles' to 'Yes' in the vBulletin Options section of the Admin CP. You also need to make sure the styles are set to be user-selectable.
                    Hmmmm, specifically where is this area located in vB2.3? I've looked around a bit and I just can't seem to find it.

Admin CP > vBulletin Options > ..... ______ ?
                    ...it's just technology

Comment

You really need to look a little harder. Just do a search for 'Allow Users To Change Styles' on that page and you'll find the option.

Hint: User and registration options

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You really need to look a little harder. Just do a search for 'Allow Users To Change Styles' on that page and you'll find the option.

Hint: User and registration options
                        Thanks Steve! Found it...

AdminCP > vB Options > User and Registration options > page down a bit to see... Allow user to change styles

Duh.. sorry 'bout that, I knew it had to be something simple

For anyone else following this (and for future reference on my part) ... the other change required being referred to ("make sure the styles are set to be user-selectable") by Steve is...

AdminCP > Styles > Modify > properties > User Selectable (yes ... no)
                        ...it's just technology

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X