Attachments table speed up. Verify?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments table speed up. Verify?

On one of the site I help administer, they have a 700MB attachment table, which appears to be slowing down the site significantly. To speed up the site, we decided to turn off the attachment in-line display so the attachments will not load, save for a link to actually view the attachments. However, there was no speed increase when switching that "View Images" function on and off.

It has come to my attention that there is a missing index in the attachment table that ought to be there. In turning off that "View Images" attachment function, it displays only the link. But because vBulletin needs to find the filename for the attachments, it needs to go to the attachment table for the filename.

The problem appears to lie in the fact that the column "filename" is not indexed. So in order to retrieve the name of the file to display as a link, it has to do a full table scan to find the filename. So, could someone verify for me whether it produces (and to confirm whether I am correct) a significant speed increase if I turn off "View Images" and index the filename column?

vBulletin doesn't ever go to the attachments table via the filename. Attachments are retrieved via attachmentid, which is the primary key of the table.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X