Do you allow "Unregistered" posting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you allow "Unregistered" posting?

If you allow guest posting then you may wish to check this out.

Under normal circumstances, all posts made by guest users are attributed to "Unregistered". This is fine - until someone decides to register themselves as "Unregistered". Once the name has been registered, guest posting is disabled (as when vb attempts to attribute the guest post to "Unregistered" it can't - because the name already exists!).

You can't even prevent this from happening, because if you ban the name "Unregistered" from being registered, this just has the same effect - no guest posting.

This problem only came to light when I attempted to post as a guest. Because someone has registered as "Unregistered" I was unable to. On further investigation I noticed that there have been no guest posts for some time. The whole point of enabling guest posting was to make it easier for visitors to the forums to leave a message.

I have reported this to vbulletin and they say that this is probably by design.

The only way to avoid this scenario is to keep an eye out for anyone registering as "Unregistered" - and delete the user as soon as you become aware of them. As I don't have the time to watch over my forums 24/7 I guess I'll need to find a way of monitoring new registrations, and delete all "Unregistered".

It would be nice to have a way of preventing anyone from registering as "Unregistered" while still allowing guest posting. Is there anyone who allows guest posting on their forums and knows how to do this?

More importantly, is there anyone who allows guest posting who has noticed this same "design" quirk?

I am currently running vb2.3.2, but vbulletin say that this will probably be the same under vb3 - as it has been designed this way.

Originally posted by MacMorag
    If you allow guest posting then you may wish to check this out.

Under normal circumstances, all posts made by guest users are attributed to "Unregistered". This is fine - until someone decides to register themselves as "Unregistered". Once the name has been registered, guest posting is disabled (as when vb attempts to attribute the guest post to "Unregistered" it can't - because the name already exists!).

You can't even prevent this from happening, because if you ban the name "Unregistered" from being registered, this just has the same effect - no guest posting.

This problem only came to light when I attempted to post as a guest. Because someone has registered as "Unregistered" I was unable to. On further investigation I noticed that there have been no guest posts for some time. The whole point of enabling guest posting was to make it easier for visitors to the forums to leave a message.

I have reported this to vbulletin and they say that this is probably by design.

The only way to avoid this scenario is to keep an eye out for anyone registering as "Unregistered" - and delete the user as soon as you become aware of them. As I don't have the time to watch over my forums 24/7 I guess I'll need to find a way of monitoring new registrations, and delete all "Unregistered".

It would be nice to have a way of preventing anyone from registering as "Unregistered" while still allowing guest posting. Is there anyone who allows guest posting on their forums and knows how to do this?

More importantly, is there anyone who allows guest posting who has noticed this same "design" quirk?

I am currently running vb2.3.2, but vbulletin say that this will probably be the same under vb3 - as it has been designed this way.
    IIRC there is a option in the admin cp that will allow you to ban certain names from begin registered. Havent used vB 2 in some months but I do remember it begin in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
      IIRC there is a option in the admin cp that will allow you to ban certain names from begin registered. Havent used vB 2 in some months but I do remember it begin in there.
      Hi Brad,

Yes there is an option to do this. But all this does in effect is stop any posts being attributed to "Unregistered" - which means that no guests can post as vb automatically attributes the guest post to "Unregistered".

If you want to see if this happens in vb3 simply open up your forums to allow guest posting and ban the "Unregistered" user name (I'm guessing that vb3 still uses "Unregistered").

What I need to find is a way of banning "Unregistered" which will still allow guest to posts.

Comment

Please check your pm's, ive sent you some code to resolve the problem, let me know if it gives you any tourble.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
          Please check your pm's, ive sent you some code to resolve the problem, let me know if it gives you any tourble.
          Thanks Brad, I'll give it a try later.

Question for vbulletin - if the source files require hacking to enable trouble-free guest posting does this not constitute a bug? Can anyone explain why it has been designed this way.

Comment

I would say this is a bug, I think it was just missed, but ill wait for a dev to confirm it.

Comment

It's not a bug.

By default, as you stated, the name Unregistered is assigned to people who are not logged in who attempt to post in a forum that allows guest posting. The name can be changed to whatever the guest likes, so long as it does not conflict with an existing registered user's username and does not contain any of the Illegal Usernames. If a user registers the name Unregistered, then the guest attempting to post will be told they need to choose a different username to post with. This could be true of *any* username that is selected as the default for guest posting, hence it is not a bug.

The design could be changed to allow for a specific username to be set aside as the default guest username. As it is exists, however, it is not a bug but a design issue.

Comment

I accept that it is a design issue.

However, and the lack of guest posts recently bear this out, if "Unregistered" has been registered by a previous user then subsequent guests are presented with the "this user name has already been registered" error (not a message telling them to choose a different name) . As they are not actually attempting to register a name themselves they are completely bewildered - and apparently tend to give up at the first attempt and disappear.

Obviously, changing the wording of the error message is the simplest way to go about this - without the need for any hacking (a simple template change which I'll do shortly). But, as you suggest, would it not be better "design" to reserve the "Unregistered" name? This is what brad.loo's code change does, but as this is actually hacking the original code I'd prefer not to (and maintain a "clean" board for which support is available).

Comment