• Show
Clear All

• parked domains and cookies

I registered three domains of the same name but different extensions:

for example
    website.org
    website.com
    website.net

I went into the cpanel of website.org and parked the other two domains, which is supposed to redirect users who type in website.com or website.net to the primary site, website.org

website.org is a vbulletin site, so all the config.php files make reference to website.org

when I type in website.net in the browser, website.net stays in the browser address bar

So I can be logged into website.org, but when I type in website.net, vbulletin tells me I'm not logged in.

If vbulletin thinks that the user is trying to go to anywhere other than mosnova.org, it will think the user is unregistered. I guess its a cookie issue.

Can anyone help me? either with configuring my cookie settings in vbulletin or with what I should ask my webhost to do?
    Last edited by banjolawyer; Tue 17 May '05, 2:54pm.

Cookies are domain specific and are not transferable from one domain to the other. There's not much you can do about this. It's best to leave the cookie domain blank, but if someone changes domains the cookie will not transfer.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The easiest way to do this is to setup website.net and website.com as actual accounts in WHM, then go into Cpanel and redirect them to website.org.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
        The easiest way to do this is to setup website.net and website.com as actual accounts in WHM, then go into Cpanel and redirect them to website.org.
        Problem is I have a virtual shared account with venturesonline that only allows one domain, but does allow 10 parked domains.

Thei help desk gave me the following proposed solution

[code]RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*website\.com.* [OR]
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^.*website\.net.*
        RewriteRule ^/$
        http://website.org[/code]

But I'm not sure where they want me to put this code. At the beginning of the index.php file? Create a .htaccess file with this in it?

Any ideas?
        Last edited by banjolawyer; Tue 17 May '05, 2:53pm.

Comment

.htaccess file in the root public directory of website.org.

Also you'll need to add
          RewriteEngine On
          before the first line of that for it to work.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X