"Unregistered" user name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unregistered" user name

After working fine for months, Unregistered users can no longer post in my forums. The problem would appear to have started when someone registered as "Unregistered". Obviously no-one else could post using that name. I have since edited that user name, and "Unregistered" no longer exists. However, the problem remains. Additionally, I've tried registering again as "Unregistered" but VB says that the name already exists - even though I've deleted it and it is nowhere to be seen in the AdminCP.

Any ideas on how to make VB know that "Unregistered" is no longer in use? (in fact, I have now added it to the list of banned user names).

The reason it's telling you that it already exists when you try to reregister it is that you've banned it - that's vB's way of saying the name is banned.

If you remove it from the banned list and reregister it, does it work then?

Comment

Also, someone having the username Unregistered would not prevent guests from posting. It would prevent them from posting only if they entered the name Unregistered in the username box while posting, but otherwise it would have nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
        Also, someone having the username Unregistered would not prevent guests from posting. It would prevent them from posting only if they entered the name Unregistered in the username box while posting, but otherwise it would have nothing to do with it.
        Whenever an unregistered user attempts to post, the user name field is already filled in with "Unregistered" - this is set via sessions.php. Is this field normally empty (ie have I hacked this file and forgotten about it)?

If the field is normally filled then I think I have found a problem:

I allow guest posting. When a guest posts, their post is attributed to
        whatever value I specify via sessions.php (in this case "Guest").
        Which works fine until someone registers as "Guest". It is then
        impossible for unregistered users to post as VB attempts to attribute
        the post to "Guest" (as stated in sessions.php), but as "Guest" is
        already registered, the post fails with "User name already exists".

To get round this I banned "Guest" from the being used as a registered
        user name via AdminCP, but as soon as I do - no unregistered user can
        post. If I unban it - fine. But this will only work until someone
        decides to register as "Guest".

This problem only came to light today when I tried to post as an
        unregistered user. VB wouldn't allow me because the "guest name" had
        already been registered. On further investigation I have noticed that
        there have been NO unregistered posts since September - which kind of
        defeats the purpose of having a forum where unregistered posting is
        encouraged.

If I hack (reset?) sessions.php so that the user name field is always blank will this allow unregistered users to post - as "blank" perhaps????

Comment

It's not a bug. It's a design issue.

By default, as you stated, the name Unregistered is assigned to people who are not logged in who attempt to post in a forum that allows guest posting. The name can be changed to whatever the guest likes, so long as it does not conflict with an existing registered user's username and does not contain any of the Illegal Usernames. If a user registers the name Unregistered, then the guest attempting to post will be told they need to choose a different username to post with. This could be true of *any* username that is selected as the default for guest posting, hence it is not a bug.

The design could be changed to allow for a specific username to be set aside as the default guest username. As it is exists, however, it is not a bug but a design issue.

Comment

I realize that this is an old thread but I ran into this problem just today even in 3.5.2. Is there anyway around it?

Don

Comment

Originally posted by dknelson99
              I realize that this is an old thread but I ran into this problem just today even in 3.5.2. Is there anyway around it?

Don
              Try updating the counters of your board.
              Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters
              You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X