No announcement yet.

MySQL errors ... One strange one, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL errors ... One strange one, help!

I'm getting this error periodically when trying to post. I'm running 2.3.0 and get this when posting:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11) in /home/sports-c/public_html/community/boards/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40
    In my e-mail, I'm getting this:
    Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

mysql error number: 2013

Date: Tuesday 21st of October 2003 08:15:03 PM
    Script: /community/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8522
    Referer: http://www.sports-central.org/commun...searchid=13994
    I also got this really strange e-mail, I can't tell if it is vB-related:
    INSERT INTO pphl_18963_logs (hostname,tld,ip,entryid,path,referer,seareng,agentid,res_w,res_h,color,time,t_reload,prox y,proxy_ip,proxy_hostname) VALUES ('64.119.142.2','','64.119.142.2',0,0,'http://www.sports-central.org','',0,800,600,32,1066813772,1066813772,'','','')

2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

Oct 21, 08:09:32 PM
    I'm thinking it might be related to PowerPhlogger, the stats program I use, but I don't know. Could someone be trying to attack me? Or does it look like just a connection error? I haven't made any changes to anything, I was just posting and got these errors. They seem to be sporadic.
    Marc James
    Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
    Sports Central Message Boards

This error means either MySQL crashed, it's not running or it can't find the socket. You need to contact your host about this. Here is more info on this error:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/a/Can_not...to_server.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I've contacted VenturesOnline, my host, about this, and they told me they are aware of no problems, but I am still getting these error e-mails periodically:

mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)

mysql error number: 2002

Date: Thursday 23rd of October 2003 06:26:32 PM
      Script: /community/boards/index.php
      Referer:

and

mysql error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

mysql error number: 2013

Date: Thursday 23rd of October 2003 06:26:03 PM
      Script: /community/boards/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8
      Referer: http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/

I am going out of town this weekend so this is the last thing I want. I could upgrade to 2.3.2 (I'm running 2.3.0), but I don't know if that'll fix anything. And I don't want to risk doing an upgrade if I'm having database connection problems. If it goes down in the middle, I could be screwed. The funny thing is that my site is still working when I visit after getting the errors, I don't get the error and nothing else on the site (that's when it's a total disaster). I'm puzzled...
      Last edited by mjames; Thu 23 Oct '03, 4:39pm.
      Marc James

Comment

That's strange. VO is usually on top of things. I'm afraid nothing's changed. This is still a server issue. I suggest sending them these error messages.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Would you recommend I do the 2.3.2 upgrade? Or am I fine with 2.3.0?
          Marc James

Comment

Hmm, now it appears I'm getting that error message instead of my vB. I'm contacted VO, and am sitting here helpless. Wish I could do something!
            Marc James

Comment

This error has nothing to do with the vB version you are running. However I always recommend upgrading to the latest version.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Funny enough, you're also running 2.3.0, Steve.
                Marc James

Comment

Yep - on one out or four forums I'm running. With the recent tradegy in my life I haven't had time to upgrade and redo my hacks.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

mjames, I have the same problem. I'm running 2.3.2 and my host is ventureonlines. I'm contacting them right now so you're not alone.
                    My forum's vB3 version: 3.6.8

Comment

I believe the error number in parantheses (which is 11) indicates what the problem is and why it can't connect. Normally this is 2, which means it can't find mysql.sock. 11 means Resource Temporarily Unavailable, at least if I am looking this up correctly.

Comment

Thanks, Kevin, at least I know it isn't a problem in my end or in my control. But it wasn't fun to come back from a weekend trip and see 83 error e-mails.

As far as I can see, my vB is up right now, but was down much of Friday night and Saturday. Nam, how about you? It is definitely a VO problem. They said it was first due to a site abusing the server, and that it was shutdown/suspended. And then they said it was due to MySQL restarting, but I'm going to contact them again. I'm on Phoenix, is that the only server having these issues?
                        Marc James

Comment

Well James, I contacted VO, we exchanged serveral posts in the helpdesk. Here is one of their replies:

Yes, I certainly do understand. I have looked through the logs and see where MySQL failed on your server only twice today:

Once at 2:53 p.m.
                          Once at 5:52 p.m.

The server restarted MySQL automatically when it was detected. The server runs a special program that checks each of the services every few minutes. When one is found down, like MySQL, that special program restarts the service automatically, restoring service.

That said, each of these outages should be no longer than 2-5 minutes. If the service goes down immediately after it is checked, it might be as long as 5 minutes that MySQL is down. However usually on most servers, the downage is caught automatically within just a couple of minutes.

I realize that repeated outages are worrisome, but I want to reassure you that we do not see anything unusual which shows this is an abnormal activity on your server. I am also unable to find where there were anywhere near 40 failures today; I was only able to account for two this afternoon. The automatic failure/restart cycle is what protects your data and also helps the server to balance its own loads and activities. The regular checking of services like mail, mysql and apache are all part of the base RedHat Linux operating system and is the same on all RedHat servers.

I hope that this helps to explain how Linux servers work and how their operations relate to the error codes that you have observed.

VO is still the best in customer support, 3 different person response to the incident. It happened once more yesterday and that's all I've experienced. FYI, I got 40 error emails and that's why they mentioned the number 40.
                          My forum's vB3 version: 3.6.8

Comment

Originally posted by Nam
                            VO is still the best in customer support, 3 different person response to the incident. It happened once more yesterday and that's all I've experienced. FYI, I got 40 error emails and that's why they mentioned the number 40.
                            If you haven't binned the 40 emails yet, check the time when they were sent. I get similar messages, usually around the same time each day. According to VO this is during the scheduled server backup. If the messages all came in around the same time, the 40 messages probably just mean that there were 40 different failed connections at the same time (ie your board was busy). It doesn't neccessarily mean that the mysql server was unavailable at 40 different times throughout the day.

I've just gotten used to seeing these messages at the same time each day. If I see them at other times then I begin to look deeper.

Totally agree with you about VO support. Best hosts I've ever had - and there have been a few.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X