Generate email list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generate email list

When I try and generate an email list of users and do not select any filters (only using "all" groups) I only get a list of 5 people when I know that I have about 70 users. Is this a bug?

Thanks

This will generate a list of members that have set 'Allow email from Admins' to 'Yes'. The missing ones have set this option to 'No'.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      This will generate a list of members that have set 'Allow email from Admins' to 'Yes'. The missing ones have set this option to 'No'.

Thank You. That was exactly it. I suppose there is no easy way of changing this one setting en mass?

Comment

Does that then not defeat the purpose of allowing a member to say "No, I don't want the Admin from this forum sending me e-mail, regardless of what it might have to say, I simply don't want it sent to me" in their User Control Panel if all you're going to do is run a query to set it to yes and spam all your members with an e-mail?

E-mail the five members. They want the e-mails, otherwise that would piss me off if I was a user on your forum and found out that I'm suddenly receiving e-mail from the forum when I specifically said I didn't want them to.

Syl...

Comment

Syl

I see your point. But what if I wanted to "broadcast" a message to all users that "we have a new forum coming up" or some other type of simple "informative" message and not some marketing stuff.

Would I not email all members for something like that?

Comment

I agree with Sylvus. Your members said they do not want these kind of emails. If it were me I'd honor their decisions. And if I were on the receiving end of such an email after specifically opting out - I'd be very angry. Just my $0.02 (or $0.0365 Canadian.)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Gotta agree with Steve and Syl on this one. When I send out info emails I even tell them how they can go about not getting emails anymore.

P. S. Spam doesn't necessarily mean marketing stuff, it means a mass email sent out to people who don't want it with no way to opt-out of the list.
              http://www.wdwforum.net/smallsig.php

Comment

Quick question.

Ok, I chose to "Build mailing list", and I built the list with all the users who allow emails from the site.

Ok, When I go to "email users", will it then email the entire list of users that I "built"?

If so, I am surprised that "Build mailing list" doesn't appear before "email users" in the vbulletin control panel.

Thank you!

Comment

No - those are two separate functions. The former gives you a list that you can then copy-n-paste to another application. The latter sends the email directly from the Admin CP to the users you chose.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    No - those are two separate functions. The former gives you a list that you can then copy-n-paste to another application. The latter sends the email directly from the Admin CP to the users you chose.
                    So if I do this, and just basically set it to send to "any", it will email all members of my site that allow emails from the forum? Thanks so much Steve.

Email to users where:User Name contains

and usergroup is "Any"

Comment

Yes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X