Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving servers with no downtime possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sal Collaziano
    replied
    I use a re-direct that brings people from the old server to the new one. Slick, eh?

Leave a comment:

• DannyITR
    replied
    Thanks for the tip. The redirect message should work nicely.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Couple things you could try.

First, close the old board, make your backup and move it to the new server. Then on the old server, make the "closed" message one that says something to the effect of "We're moving, click here to go to the new server" and link to the IP address of the new server. They will have to login on the IP-accessed site (cause that's the way cookies work) but other than that it should cause no problems. When people's DNS records have been updated, they will automatically get the new site.

Or, if you have access to it, you could edit your old server's DNS records to point to the new server's nameservers. This would then forward people to the new server automatically. I think. (I don't know much about this, but I know it is possible...)

Leave a comment:

• DannyITR
    started a topic Moving servers with no downtime possible?

Moving servers with no downtime possible?

When I change servers, I don't see how the forum cannot be down for at least 24h since that is the time it takes after I redirect my domain nameservers before it becomes effective. I could leave the old forum running but then all posts that occur while waiting for the nameserver to propagate would be lost then right?

Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

Thanks
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X