Initial setup on my box... Need a hand here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial setup on my box... Need a hand here

According to your document I should have a file named: "config.php" in the upload/admin dir. the file I see is "config.php.new" I open it in notepad and this is what I see.ahh it wont paste correctly
    <?php
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Please note that if you get any errors when connecting, //
    // that you will need to email your host as we cannot tell //
    // you what your specific values are supposed to be //
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // type of database running
    // (only mysql is supported at the moment)
    $dbservertype = 'mysql';
    // hostname or ip of server
    $servername = 'localhost';
    // username and password to log onto db server
    $dbusername = 'root';
    $dbpassword = '';
    // name of database
    $dbname = 'vbulletin';
    // technical email address - any error messages will be emailed here
    $technicalemail = '[email protected]';
    // use persistant connections to the database
    // 0 = don't use
    // 1 = use
    $usepconnect = 0;
    // which users are allowed to view the admin log
    // separate each userid with a comma
    $canviewadminlog = '1';
    // which users are allowed to prune the admin log
    // separate each userid with a comma
    $canpruneadminlog = '';
    ?>
    It does not look this!

it ALL Jumbled on TOP with little squares throughout the code... sort of like carrage returns, ya know what I mean?

How do I fix? what do I need to do? Is the file I have correct? any help here would greatly appreciated as Im trying to get it up on my box to get a feel for it.
    Louis| Techieville.com

Originally posted by louisl
    According to your document I should have a file named: "config.php" in the upload/admin dir. the file I see is "config.php.new" I open it in notepad and this is what I see.ahh it wont paste correctly

It does not look this!

it ALL Jumbled on TOP with little squares throughout the code... sort of like carrage returns, ya know what I mean?

How do I fix? what do I need to do? Is the file I have correct? any help here would greatly appreciated as Im trying to get it up on my box to get a feel for it.

Rename "config.php.new" to "config.php" (remove the .new) then open it with any text editor. (such as TextPad)

Once you have the file open, fill in the values (database name, db user, db pass, email address, etc) save the file, and upload to your server (along with the rest of the files in the "upload" directory, while keeping the directry structure the same)
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Make sure you remove White Spaces towards the end and the bottom of the file and Upload it in ASCII mode.
      @[email protected]

Comment

thanks I got it. I guess I just wanted to make sure I had the right files. I just open it in my html editor/wordpad. cool
        Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

Yeah....That's a small bug in... well, a lot of Jelsoft-created PHP files. They were written on Linux boxes (i would assume) so if you run Windows 2000 or newer, Notepad reads new lines as a Unicode character. A good old fashioned square is shown where new lines should be.

Wordpad, and most other text editors, don't have this "bug", although it would be nice if there was an option while downloading to choose from Unicode-compliant and non-Unicode-compliant. (like zip/tar option)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X