Hi,

As my forums have grown to the level of high use that they are at today, the amount of bounced emails I get back from thread subscriptions has reached an astonishing height. I believe the total over the past month topped 20,000 bounced messages.

Since I also run programs such as SpamAssassin on the server, it appears that the entire mail aspect is actually bogging down the processor a bit, and it seems like these messages are a significant part of that load. I have been showing a spamd program with an average 9% CPU load daily, which I assume is part of this somehow, since there really are not all that many incoming messages otherwise (no more than 20-40 a day to my personal accounts on the server).

Is there a widely-practiced way to deal with this, or something to add to one of the mail notification templates that will funnel responses into a garbage bin somewhere?

If none of this makes sense, I can try to explain it better. I am running into a number of server performance issues with vBulletin right now and trying to think of everything I can to optimize it. The server is a P4 2.4GHz machine with 2GB of RAM, running this site and a couple of very small ones that should not impact it. The forums average 125-200 users online over a 15 minute span, and about 1500 posts a day. It seems to me that it should be able to handle the load... but I could easily be wrong, since I am learning all of this server stuff as I go along.

Thanks.