Interesting Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Observation

This didn't seem to fit into a category, but I wanted to ask this question. I noticed all XMB forums are indexed by google, completely! Why is this? Why doesn't vBulletin get indexed like that without archive hacks or something? I've been spidered, but barely indexed beyond my homepage, and that's only because I submitted it! So what's the difference? The url's are very similar in syntax. I thought this was the supposed reason vB forums don't get indexed?

For example:
    Do a google search for almost any post on this forum...

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/index.php

It's all over google, as are most XMB forums. The admin there says google spiders and indexes every page.
    Last edited by SloppyGoat; Wed 24 Sep '03, 3:01am.
    The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

its the sessionhash as far as i know.

Google and search engines aren't big fans of 32 character strings in the URL.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

But what's the difference between this string, which isn't googled...

http://www.tga.dynu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5713

...and this one, which is googled?

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/....php?tid=16814

All of theirs are indexed, it seems. What's the session hash? The "&", you mean? Is that pesky "&" character the only thing keeping all vB forums from being indexed??? Not sure what the session hash is, really. If it's just one character, there should be an easy way to replace or substitute that, shouldn't there?
      Last edited by SloppyGoat; Wed 24 Sep '03, 3:47am.

Comment

searchengines dont take cookies so they'd actually see

showthread.php?threadid=5713
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Oh, I see. The "&" is just for the cookie? Well, that would make it seem even more likely to be spidered just as XMB, wouldn't it? Or are you saying it wouldn't see a complete url at all? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get indexed, without the complicated archive hack. I tried that one already and it went miserably wrong for me. I don't really need or want vBportal and all that junk. Do you have any suggestions? Every solution I've found seems to be rather beyond my experience in this type of thing. I could have a very popular forum, if it could just be indexed a bit. I just don't see the reason why XMB would be indexed, since their url's are so similar.

Comment

I haven't really put a lot of effort into finding out how many more pages have been indexed by Google, but I am using Google Adsense so I have done some investigation on what the pages look like to Google. One thing I realised is that the session ID, (/forums/index.php?) is always added for guests (Google).

Check out this thread:
            http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...7&pagenumber=2
            MODern ENGINEuity
            Modular Powered Community

Automotive Books, Movies, Games and More!

Comment

Is there any down side to disabling session hash? What exactly does it do? I know this is probably a stupid question to some of you, but I don't know what session hash is, really.

Comment

It allows people to remain logged in if they don't accept cookies. It is a pretty necessary feature if there are no cookies and you want vBulletin to work for your guests.

vBulletin 3.0 resolves this problem.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

It allows people to remain logged in if they don't accept cookies.
                  So, you're saying that disabling session hash would not allow guests to browse the forum properly? Or you're saying that they would remain as guests in users online? What exactly are you saying? Sorry, this has just confused me a bit more. Cookies wouldn't be updated for registered guests, then? Would this be a security risk?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 3.0 resolves this problem.
                    Does that mean V3 will be more Google friendly?
                    Diesel Records

Comment

it is google friendly atm.

Google quite happily spiders the actual URL's.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Is there some way we, who are using 2.3.x, can somehow take advantage of the new vB3 code?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X