Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortened links are a problem! Help!

Hi gurus of vBulletin,

When a member of our boards posts a long URL, the system remembers the entire thing, but displays only a portion of it. So a link like this:
    Code:
    http://www.consciousloving.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3282
    Is displayed like this:
    Code:
    http://www.consciousloving.com/foru...p;threadid=3282
    It still works, of course. If the user clicks on the (apparently) shortened link, they get to the desired URL.

The problem is that sometimes members click on a link, go there, find great value, and want to share that information with others. So they copy and paste the shortened link into another post. Then what? The link is now broken. The shortened link will not work.

How can I STOP vBulletin from shortening long links? I don't mind if they display at full length... Does anyone? And then they can be copied and pasted and still work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    William

Solutions without displaying layout breaking links:-

In IE: Right click the link and select "Copy shortcut" from the menu.

or in vB: quote the post to se the [ url] tag and copy the contents.
    Sig? What sig?

Comment

workaround works if you KNOW about the problem

thanks DarkDelight,

You have given me workarounds that I, as administrator of the boards already know and practice. The problem is NOT me. It is a problem for my users, the members of the boards. They don't understand that the shortened link cannot be copied or it will break. I've announced this, but people don't get it. It is an ongoing problem.

So the solution, as I see it, is to NOT shorten the links. Is there any way to control that in vBulletin? If not, why not? What is the reason that links are shortened, anyway?

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help!

William

Comment

Its shortened intentionally as a long URL would strech the width of the screen. There isn't a way to disable this but i'll see how easy a code change would be to stop it.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Looking forward to a solution!

Thanks, Scott!

Maybe if I could modify the .php code to choose the length of the shortened link, that would help. Right now, it's shortened to about 1/2 the width of the table column. I wouldn't mind at all if it was 7/8 the width.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind if it stretched the column somewhat.

Thanks for your help!
          William

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X