Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I edit (or "replace") codes when fixing bugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I edit (or "replace") codes when fixing bugs?

I just upgraded to 2.3.2 from 2.2.4 and I realized that images don't show up when the url is linked between the image tags in a post.

I assume this is the same problem Steve Machol addressed in THIS THREAD.

He says the solution is to replace a code in forumdisplay.php with another one, but my question is how to do that.

I know it's simply a matter of deleting a code, copying another from the thread and pasting it, but I don't know exactly what to do. I've never had to edit a .php file before. Only templates in my admin cp.

My guess is that, unlike editing a template in my admin cp, I have to edit the forumdisplay.php file in the "Upload" folder I downloaded from vb when I upgraded, open it with Note Pad, find that particular code (among a huge page of confusing codes), carefully delete that particular code, paste the new one in, then upload the file to my server (overwriting the old one).

^
    Correct???

Notepad is notoriously bad for editing php files. However if you turn word wrap off you might be ok.

If you need further help, fill out a support ticket:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/support_form.php
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, if it's not too much to ask, can you quote the two codes (before and after) again like you did in that thread, but this time specify exactly what I need to change in the code by highlighting those parts in red?

Because they look pretty-much the same to me (I only see one difference) and when I try to cut and paste the whole code in Note-Pad, the whole page messes up. The code has spaces in it and I never know how it was to fix it. It'll be much easier if I knew specifically what part(s) I have to change.

Thanks.

Comment

Uppin for Steve.

Comment

Please wait 12 hours before bumping a thread. As I said if you need further help please use the support system.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X