Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change-of-email auth mails don't work

Hi,

Very weird/frustrating problem ever since upgrading to 2.3.0 Beta 2 (I think). We've since upgraded to 2.3.0 final and the problem is still occuring. It's been going on for some months now but I had to track down what was actually happening before I could report it. I didn't see anything addressing this issue in the release notes for 2.3.1 or 2.3.2 so it doesn't seem likely to be fixed by an upgrade.

Basically, when a user changes their email in UserCP, the email that the system sends them often doesn't work. It works sometimes, and works for me in my tests, but many times users have reported going through the process, following the link in the email, and it either gives them one of several error messages, or seems to work, but they still can't post messages or view PM's etc.

However, if I go into the admin console and get the system to send them an email, it seems to pretty much always work. It has become a part of my daily ritual to deal with these users now, who complain they have received the authentication email, followed the link but they still can't post, then I send them one manually from the console and it works fine.

My question is, is there a template or something that controls the email sent to them by the system automatically, which is different to the one they receive when I send it manually from the admin console? Something I can reset back to default? Or any other ideas about this problem? Starting to chew up a lot of my time, with nearly 40,000 users in our forums.

Thanks!
    James
    www.overclockers.com.au
    forums.overclockers.com.au
    www.overclockers.com.au

To be able to troubleshoot this we'd need to know the exact error messages they are getting.

Are you running the default files and templates?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve,

I believe we're using all standard files and templates, yes.. apart from some minor wording changes here and there. We have a custom colour scheme, though.

Anyway, over the last few days there have been 5 or 6 people with this problem, all of whom say they received the confirmation email sent by the system, they followed the link and it said they were authenticated fine, but then they couldn't post or access PM's. When I sent them the email manually from the admin console it worked fine.

So, it seems it happens even when there is no error message at all. Also, we are still having new users sign up with no problem, and they must respond to a confirmation email before they can post, so those emails must also be working fine.

Very strange error.

James
      www.overclockers.com.au

Comment

There are no bugs in 2.3.0 that would account for this. However I suggest you upgrade to 2.3.2 and if you still have this problem let us know.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X