Copyright Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright Location

I understand that everyone must have the copyright information on the footer (unless you pay).

But lately, I've seen dozens of sites that does not have "powered by vbulletin" on the title.
    Is this okay?

In a word, yes.
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Extending on that: you can remove it from most everywhere except for the footer. That includes the page title (and it's a good idea to remove it from there to make your page titles to the point).
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

How do you remove it from the title?

Originally posted by filburt1
        Extending on that: you can remove it from most everywhere except for the footer. That includes the page title (and it's a good idea to remove it from there to make your page titles to the point).
        How do you remove the "powered by vbulletin" from the title of each page?
        I've been looking for a long time... can't find it ... argh!

Comment

Header template i believe?

Comment

When in doubt, use the template search engine.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

OK, Got it:

Forum Home Page Templates --> forumhome template.

{htmldoctype}
              <html>
              <head>
              <!-- no cache headers -->
              <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
              <meta http-equiv="no-cache">
              <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="-1">
              <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache">
              <!-- end no cache headers -->
              <meta name="keywords" content="vbulletin,forum,bbs,discussion,jelsoft">
              <meta name="description" content="$bbtitle is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To visit the forum, go to $bburl/ . To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .">
              <title>$bbtitle - powered by vBulletin</title>
              $headinclude
              </head>
              <body>
              Last edited by JHead; Sat 20 Sep '03, 5:55am.

Comment

Erg, so to the title's hard coded into all of the templates?
                "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

No, the code that JHead posted does not have the title in it.

It is just in the header.

Comment

There are some templates that dont call header that have it from memory, but the template search engine will find and destory them. (i searched for "vbulletin" and it only returned 5 or 6 templates with it in it.

Comment

Originally posted by iKwak
                      I understand that everyone must have the copyright information on the footer (unless you pay).

But lately, I've seen dozens of sites that does not have "powered by vbulletin" on the title.
                      Is this okay?
                      It is and it isnt. With the new low price for copyright removal ($120), more sites are taking advantage of it.

There are a few ways to tell if a board might be warez'ed, but none are fool-proof, so when in doubt, report it anyways and see what happens.

Easy ways to tell:
                      1. A lot of times, pirated boards will run out of date versions, because they cannot get new versions.
                        1. To elaborate on that: if you see an older vB (such as 2.2.5) with no hacks, and a somewhat small board, chances are it was pirated.
                      2. Almost all boards have some hacks on them, except for a few, so if you see a board with no hacks at all it *might* be pirated
                      3. No copyright information - though you can pay to remove it, it usually is only done on popular boards.
                      4. Warez or piracy board - if the site discusses warez or piracy on it, it might be pirated...
                      If you're not sure, it does'nt hurt to report it at http://www.vbulletin.com/contact/piracy.php so that the vB team can investigate further.

I could be wrong with those little hints, but 9 times out of 10, I have found them to be true in my experiences with pirated boards.

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                        No, the code that JHead posted does not have the title in it.

It is just in the header.
                        Acully its not in the header, it resides the the forumhome template (has posted above) so the title is dynamic so to speak. Notice threads and forums do not have 'powered by vBulletin' in there titles by default.

Comment

i don't show version of vbulletin for security reasons, and running not the latest version now. and right now dont have any hacks (waiting for vb3). the board is legal though
                          HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

Originally posted by Techguy1
                            i don't show version of vbulletin for security reasons, and running not the latest version now. and right now dont have any hacks (waiting for vb3). the board is legal though
                            I do the same thing, cept' I don't have Copyright on the footer (I paid) and my boards not open yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon
                              It is and it isnt. With the new low price for copyright removal ($120), more sites are taking advantage of it.

There are a few ways to tell if a board might be warez'ed, but none are fool-proof, so when in doubt, report it anyways and see what happens.

Easy ways to tell:
                              1. A lot of times, pirated boards will run out of date versions, because they cannot get new versions.
                                1. To elaborate on that: if you see an older vB (such as 2.2.5) with no hacks, and a somewhat small board, chances are it was pirated.
                              2. Almost all boards have some hacks on them, except for a few, so if you see a board with no hacks at all it *might* be pirated
                              3. No copyright information - though you can pay to remove it, it usually is only done on popular boards.
                              4. Warez or piracy board - if the site discusses warez or piracy on it, it might be pirated...
                              If you're not sure, it does'nt hurt to report it at http://www.vbulletin.com/contact/piracy.php so that the vB team can investigate further.

I could be wrong with those little hints, but 9 times out of 10, I have found them to be true in my experiences with pirated boards.
                              or become a vbulletin zealot and report every board you ever come accross, like some here do!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X