Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is upwith the user name and pass in my config.php file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is upwith the user name and pass in my config.php file?

Ok to make this short and sweet I have VBulleting working great on my website at www.vorspann.net however I am just curious because a few things are wierd in my config.php file...

It asked for my username and password when installing and I tried entering my username which was Chris Jumonville and my password which was ********** but it wouldnt install. I went with the default settings which were exactly as follows...

// username and password to log onto db server
    $dbusername="root";
    $dbpassword="";

Umm ok that is basically saying that I dont have a name or password?

Well I installed it and it worked just like that without any problems. I know that those ARE NOT my MySQL password and username for a fact. It will also ONLY work with my server name as "localhost". My only guess for this would be that since I run my own server which is a DNS server, web server and everything and I dont use any hosting services that it uses localhost as the server name since it is my local computer and that it uses the root for name and nothing for the password because this is all hosted on my own computer which I am installing vBulletin on. I imagine the only time the user name and password would be relavant and a server name as well would be if you were using a hosting service? Is this right or is something wierd just going on? All things said however vBulletin works 100% great.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks
    Chris

This means that you do not have a password set for your root MySQL user. If you plan to open this server to the web, I suggest you add a password quick.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

if you dont want to change anything.

Firewall block port 3306 from anything apart from localhost.

This will allow MySQL to continue working locally but reject people connecting from outside.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        This means that you do not have a password set for your root MySQL user. If you plan to open this server to the web, I suggest you add a password quick.
        Opening it to the web would mean what? Like giving others access to my MySQL? If I closed it to the web would that mean that my vBulletin wouldnt work since the MySQL would be closed to others on the web? How do I edit these settings because I went into MySQL admin and it says my name is Chris Jumonville and my password is **********

Comment

I am also assuming that the only people who would want to open it to the web would be hosting services or people who wanted to give access to freinds or others to there mysql databases? So right now I have my mysql user name as Chris Jumonville and the password as ********** so does this mean I should just leave it like that or should I change the password to "" and the user name to root?

Comment

I would change your root password and also use a non-root db user for your vB database.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              I would change your root password and also use a non-root db user for your vB database.
              Do you think it would be wise to delete my root user period? Would that be bad or good seeing as though I have created a new user with a password? You would think if I were to have it open to the web that you wouldnt want any users without passwords and since I am not using the root user you would think I could delete it. phpmyadmin also tells me there are other users with no password...

It says that there is a "Any" user with % as the host and no password
              there is also an "Any" user with localhost as the host and no password
              Then there is a "root" user with % as the host and no password
              and then there is also a "root" user with localhost as the host and no password

Then I have my own user with a password with all privlages so do you think I could delete all those others or do they need to be there?

Thanks
              Chris

Comment

No, don't delete the root user. Simply change the password.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X