Validating email addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validating email addresses

If I want to check that all users have a current, working email address - what's the best way of going about it. That is if one exists at all.

What I'd expect in a perfect world is an email to be sent to all members that they have a configurable number of days to click on a link or their account would be set to a specific user group ("Dead email addresses" for instance).

If not in v2 - is it in v3?

thanks

All you can do is turn on email verification on registration. There is no configurable option in vB2 or vB3 to move these members from one group to another after a few days. This would require modifying the code.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I mean after registration. Suppose I want to check that all email addresses are still valid?

Comment

Originally posted by Banana
        I mean after registration. Suppose I want to check that all email addresses are still valid?

Couldn't you just email them all - then see which ones bounce back?

Then you could just find user, using that email address - see if they are active or not

in admin there is the facility to build a mailing list I think it's under the section users.

Probably not what you're after, but thought I'd point that option out, if you hadn't already thought about it

Comment

That hasn't worked for me....I haven't gotten a single bounced email and when I normally email a user, it bounces.

*frowns*
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Some email bounces go to a server address. Unless you are running a dedicated server and have access to these, you may never see them.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have a hack installed, and all I do, is push a button in the admincp and it checks for me. It works surprisingly well. I'll try and find you the link, but you can always look over at vb.org

Comment

I've never actually used one of these, but I know there are tools available which can do mass email verifications. You might want to have a browse through a good freeware site like www.nonags.com

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian406
                  I have a hack installed, and all I do, is push a button in the admincp and it checks for me. It works surprisingly well. I'll try and find you the link, but you can always look over at vb.org
                  Well if you find it let me know! What does the hack do exactly?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X