Email notifications not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email notifications not working properly

All of a sudden my inbox is flooded with error messages about email notifications not going through.

The errors show the domain name of my site to be wrong. Here are some examples of error messages -

The original message was received at Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:56:32 -0500
    from [email protected]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    [email protected]
    (reason: 550-Verification failed for <[email protected]>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to sandkats.com.:
    >>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
    <<< 550-Verification failed for <[email protected]>
    <<< 550-unrouteable mail domain "thecatsite.thecatsite.com"
    <<< 550 Sender verify failed
    550 5.1.1 [email protected]... User unknown

The original message was received at Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:59:21 -0500
    from [email protected]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    [email protected]
    (reason: 553 5.1.8 <[email protected]>... Domain of sender address [email protected] does not exist)

... while talking to smtp.iowatelecom.net.:
    >>> MAIL From:<[email protected]>
    <<< 553 5.1.8 <[email protected]>... Domain of sender address [email protected] does not exist
    501 5.6.0 Data format error

The original message was received at Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:16:17 -0500
    from [email protected]

----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
    [email protected]

... while talking to catlover-com.mr.outblaze.com.:
    >>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
    <<< 450 <[email protected]>: No thank you: rejected: Domain not found
    [email protected]... Deferred: 450 <[email protected]>: No thank you: rejected: Domain not found
    Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
    Will keep trying until message is 1 day old
    I haven't done anything to the forums - no upgrade no nothing. I am hosted on a dedicated server and to the best of my knowledge no one has bannned our ip (we NEVER spam) - also the addresses that bounce are varied (not AOL or netscape so far as far as I see).

What's going on?
    CatForums
    Verdant Gardening Forums
    If you have pets/home and family related forums, hit me up for a link exchange!

The problem is probably your return email address:

[email protected]

Did you change this anywhere?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      The problem is probably your return email address:

[email protected]

Did you change this anywhere?
      Nope - I didn't change anything. Plus it is still working in some of the cases...
      CatForums
      Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

Well that is the problem. Some outside domains are rejecting that return address because they cannot find the 'thecatsite.thecatsite.com' domain. I suspect you need to fix this so it's a standard address:

[email protected]

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Well that is the problem. Some outside domains are rejecting that return address because they cannot find the 'thecatsite.thecatsite.com' domain. I suspect you need to fix this so it's a standard address:

[email protected]
          As I haven't changed anything I don't know where to get anything fixed In the admin panel all I can see is webmater's email and that is just fine.
          CatForums
          Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

What is the webmaster's email address? Also upload the phpinfo.php file from the 'extras' directory of the zip file to your forums directory. Then post the URL here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

What is the webmaster's email address? Also upload the phpinfo.php file from the 'extras' directory of the zip file to your forums directory. Then post the URL here.
              Webmaster's email is set to - [email protected]

here's the link to the phpinfo -
              http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/phpinfo.php

Thanks for all your help!
              CatForums
              Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

I had another problem with return-path in emails and fixed it for me.
                Maybe you can do the same, look in this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=419394

Comment

Originally posted by zfrank
                  I had another problem with return-path in emails and fixed it for me.
                  Maybe you can do the same, look in this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=419394
                  Thanks zfrank! Unless I am told I absolutely have I'd rather not play around with the code. I'm PHP shy
                  CatForums
                  Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

Steve, have you had a chance to look at that phpinfo file? I don't want to leave it there for too long as I was told it might help hackers in some way.

BTW I just upgraded to version 2.3.2
                    Last edited by Shoonra; Sun 17 Aug '03, 11:44pm.
                    CatForums
                    Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

Sorry, I missed that. There's nothing in the phpinfo that would account for this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Sorry, I missed that. There's nothing in the phpinfo that would account for this problem.
                        And what is this:

System Linux thecatsite.thecatsite.com 2.2.23-rp1 #3 SMP Tue Dec 10 13:55:27 CST 2002 i686

Hostname of this server is thecatsite.thecatsite.com

sendmail_from is [email protected]

I think on this server is qmail running and in /var/qmail/control/me is thecatsite.thecatsite.com, normally it must be thecatsite.com

Comment

Sheesh! I totally missed that. Good catch!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks for catching that up - I just don't understand why it's changed all of the sudden. I guess I should contact my hosting service next.
                            CatForums
                            Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X