database, different datacenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• database, different datacenter

okay first i understand that it is preferred to have them at the same datacenter, but in all honesty, that's not an option to me

i require a dual processor that my current host cannot provide me with, but he has a great policy when it comes to dealing with people trying to DoS my server and his agenda is not to kick anyone off for being dos'd, but to try to add better filtering to stop them.. he doesn't have anything in my budget to run the dbase on, and only has webmin, which makes it hard to resell space to recoup the extra money that has to be put out for the new server

i've read it is just easy enough to put the ip in the config for the server that is, but i'm looking for exact syntax and what steps i need to take on my current server

// hostname or ip of server
    $servername="localhost";
    do i simply change that to
    // hostname or ip of server
    $servername="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx";

and then what of changing the firewall.. what port does mysql run on, or is simply adding a rule to always allow the ip of the dbase server suffice?

i consistently have 125+ people online, so planning to do this correct the first time is essential

would my steps be

1) shutting the site down
    2) uploading the current dbase to the new server
    3) editing the config file
    4) editing the firewall [if necessary]
    5) seeing if i can access it via my admin login
    6) opening my board again

what can go wrong? what can i do to be prepared for something going wrong?

i'm looking for precise statements as my time is very limited and i have to be able to be successful immediately

thank you so much for your help
    www.karmicpower.com
    online community of like minded people

be the change you wish to see in the world

*bump*

i have put the ip for the server in config.php and put a rule in the new server to allow the ip to connect to the mysql port

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on '64.246.6.43' (60) in /usr/home/diabloworld/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40
    what is missing?
    Last edited by Morgalis; Mon 25 Aug '03, 12:04pm.
    www.karmicpower.com
    online community of like minded people

be the change you wish to see in the world

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X