Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange mySQL Database Size

My Old Host:
    mySQL backup using SSH (database1): 29 MB (.sql)

My New Host:
    Restored using SSH (database1): 28 MB (phpMyAdmin)
    mySQL backup using SSH (database1): 17 MB (.sql)

Restored mySQL backup (database1 - 17 MB) using SSH: 28 MB in phpMyAdmin

New Server (cPanel):
    jailshell-2.05a$

Old Server (Ensim):
    bash-2.05a$

All commands from: http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

How come .sql of my old host is 29 MB and new host is 17MB? Is the backup complete?

Last edited by iFly; Fri 15 Aug '03, 12:26am.

If the backups were made with the exact same command and are the exact same databases, then the only other thing it could be is either the smaller backup is incomplet or there is a difference in MySQL/mysqldump versions that have resulted in different sizes.

The only way to know for sure if the backup is complete is to restore it to a test forums and see.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      If the backups were made with the exact same command and are the exact same databases, then the only other thing it could be is either the smaller backup is incomplet or there is a difference in MySQL/mysqldump versions that have resulted in different sizes.

The only way to know for sure if the backup is complete is to restore it to a test forums and see.
      Its exact same database.

The 17 MB backup when restored works - also shows 28 MB in phpMyAdmin with all (40) tables.

How come .sql (same command) of my old host is 29 MB and new host is 17 MB?

Comment

As I said this may be due to different MySQL/mysqldump versions.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

its due to indices. These are made when you insert / update rows into the database. These aren't included when you use mysqldump.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X