Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back-up Database?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Back-up Database?

    Since I'm new, I get to ask lots of "stupid" questions. I do a lot of "Searching" before posting but the vb/PHP/SQL/LSdkfjaldskjfadsdf language is confusing to those like me who don't know anything.

    Just want to ensure I'm backing up EVERYTHING. There are various options in the CP. I see:

    SQL Dump of data: (with a long list of titles) with a "Do Backup" button at the bottom of the list. Am I to assume that if I click on this button and save the zip, that I am saving every template, hack, post, etc? In other words, if something happened and my forum got hacked and erased, would this "zip file" fix everything back to where it was?
    Paula

  • #2
    Originally posted by gsk8
    Since I'm new, I get to ask lots of "stupid" questions. I do a lot of "Searching" before posting but the vb/PHP/SQL/LSdkfjaldskjfadsdf language is confusing to those like me who don't know anything.

    Just want to ensure I'm backing up EVERYTHING. There are various options in the CP. I see:

    SQL Dump of data: (with a long list of titles) with a "Do Backup" button at the bottom of the list. Am I to assume that if I click on this button and save the zip, that I am saving every template, hack, post, etc? In other words, if something happened and my forum got hacked and erased, would this "zip file" fix everything back to where it was?
    I think that depends on the size of your database you are backing up. If you have a large board it may time out.
    There is something about thos type of back ups here http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/backup.html

    But it seems the most reliable is doing it via telnet which is in the first part of this instruction.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by good2laugh
      I think that depends on the size of your database you are backing up. If you have a large board it may time out.
      There is something about thos type of back ups here http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/backup.html

      But it seems the most reliable is doing it via telnet which is in the first part of this instruction.
      http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

      Thanks!
      Paula

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gsk8
        Thanks!
        Ok, I read the VB manual on this an just want to be clear. It appears there are three ways to backup. So if I use the first (the long list with radio buttons), and save the file to a disk on a regular basis, am I backing up the forum in it's entirety? Meaning, posts, members, bans, custom images, hacks, etc.?
        Paula

        Comment


        • #5
          When you backup the database, this does not include images and hacked vB files.

          The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

          http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

          Steve Machol Photography


          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Steve Machol
            When you backup the database, this does not include images and hacked vB files.

            The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

            http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
            Thanks Steve....looks pretty scary. Just want to back up on a regular basis and hold for quick restoral if necessary. Wish there was a way the system could automatically do it for me while I'm asleep at 3AM
            Paula

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gsk8
              Thanks Steve....looks pretty scary. Just want to back up on a regular basis and hold for quick restoral if necessary. Wish there was a way the system could automatically do it for me while I'm asleep at 3AM
              There is. You could run 2 CRON jobs. 1 to back up the mysql database and 1 to tar and zip your forums directory. That will back up your forums in their entirety including attachments and hacks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Zenith
                There is. You could run 2 CRON jobs. 1 to back up the mysql database and 1 to tar and zip your forums directory. That will back up your forums in their entirety including attachments and hacks.
                Thanks Zenith. I'm new to the whole language/programming so nothing you wrote makes sense to me Is there a step-by-step link for me to go to?
                Paula

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gsk8
                  Thanks Zenith. I'm new to the whole language/programming so nothing you wrote makes sense to me Is there a step-by-step link for me to go to?
                  Depends. What sort of hosting do you have? Linux? I assuming you don't run your own server. Does your host provide you with a "control panel"? Is there a CRON icon in your control panel? If so, setting it up is easy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can the forum be "tar"'d when it is open, or does it have to be closed?

                    :-jon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Doesn't matter if it's opened or closed.

                      Probably good practice to close before you backup the database though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No "CRON" icon. What does it stand for?
                        Paula

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          CRON allows you to execute commands or scripts automatically at a specified date and time. Most hosts provide an easy web interface to it with their control panels these days, but it's a little too involved to go into here if that interface is not available. If you want to pursue it just do some googling for CRON and I'm sure you'll find some good "howto" pages.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zenith
                            If you want to pursue it just do some googling for CRON and I'm sure you'll find some good "howto" pages.
                            The best of all: Just enter "man cron" on the shell
                            ::[ Skill-Club's Forum ]::
                            .

                            Comment

                            Loading...
                            Working...
                            X