How do i get my database back online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i get my database back online?

I have saved my database, then dleated everything, now i want to reinstall it...how can i do this?

-Magik

If you have a telnet or ssh connection to your account, you can login and import it <-- best way

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Restore to new server
    • Telnet/SSH into machine2
    • create a database on the mysql if necessary (ask your server admin for help with this as it varies from machine to machine)
    • at the prompt type
      mysql -uUSERNAME -p newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql
    • this takes a couple of minutes depending on your database size, but you can track the progress either by FTP (checking the /mysql/data/newdbname and see the files appearing) or by phpMyAdmin (you should see the files appearing there)
    • when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt
    Step Four - Bringing it back online
    • Go into your config.php and change the database name to the database name you created in Step 3, if necessary.
    • upload config.php
    • Go into your admin/index.php and then click on "options" and change the URL (if necessary) and verify the options and click "submit"

If you don't, then you can try through a browser, but .. I wouldn't advice it really, due to the upload & time_execution limit.
    So contact your hosting provider and let them do it for you.

Comment

dont worry. I'll start from scrtach with a new VB. no worries thanks
      Last edited by M4g!k; Fri 18 Jul '03, 6:47am.

Comment

No
        I did not say that
        you can just import the database
        try reading my thread.

Comment

Depends how you backed it up. If the DB is small enough, and you did a backup with vBulletin, you could probably restore it in phpMyAdmin, but that's not very reliable. If you used cPanel, you should still use SSH or Telnet to restore the database, as using cPanel to restore it is still very unreliable.

If you have the cpanel backup it will be called something like vbulletin.gz. Unzip that, and inside there will be a file called vbulletin. Rename that file to vbulletin.sql, and continue with the steps xiphoid gave.

Good luck. It would be good practice to learn how to do this now, rather than later, when you have a big board.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X