Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

locked

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • locked

    wellll. xiphoid you say:
    "Ofcourse you are.

    But.


    The license agreement states that you are only permitted to download your copy through the official members area, kazaa download doens't count "

    a shame you locked the topic to silence the truthful response. had you known the laws regarding this you would know that they do not allow software companies to write the laws. only the federal gov has the ability to write the laws. and this mentality of the software companies to think they can get away with whatever they choose is the one reason why i for one will always support free downloads.
    if i sell you a rifle and write a nice little license agreement saying you can only use it to go around shooting civilians does that make the license a legally binding agreement? of course not! that's obsurd. whatever you put in your license agreement must be able to be upheld in a court of law. in case you are not aware if one line of your license can not be upheld in a court of law the entire document is entirely useless.
    i totally understand your desire to shut people up when all it benefits is you. that is how software companies operate. they dont tell you the truth. they try to rewrite and twist the truth around so it only benefits them and try to silence everyone that knows the real truth.
    have a good day

  • #2
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say but I doubt the original thread was closed in an effort to 'silence' anyone. Nor do I see any evidence of Jelsoft 'lying' or 'twisting the truth'. If fact, all I saw was an honest effort on our part to try and help resolve the problems you are having with your forums.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      dont see the problem
      if you got a legal license, you can download it from members area, so i cant see why you should want to go around searchengines to find a person to download it from.

      If you dont have a licence for it,you got no rights running this software that people worked countless hours for, and its also like spitting in the faces for those of us who pay for this.

      there are heaps of free alternatives for it, sutch as:
      http://www.invisionboard.com/
      http://www.phpbb.com/
      http://forum.snitz.com/
      http://www.ikonboard.com/

      they are ok to use (i run 2 invisionboard myself), not complicated and as mutch settings for "us" admins,but they work more then well anough.

      If you are one of those that things everything software related should be free, then you can go live out your twisted perception of life using linux & its software, lots of free stuff.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by allfather
        dont see the problem
        if you got a legal license, you can download it from members area, so i cant see why you should want to go around searchengines to find a person to download it from.

        If you dont have a licence for it,you got no rights running this software that people worked countless hours for, and its also like spitting in the faces for those of us who pay for this.

        there are heaps of free alternatives for it, sutch as:
        http://www.invisionboard.com/
        http://www.phpbb.com/
        http://forum.snitz.com/
        http://www.ikonboard.com/

        they are ok to use (i run 2 invisionboard myself), not complicated and as mutch settings for "us" admins,but they work more then well anough.

        If you are one of those that things everything software related should be free, then you can go live out your twisted perception of life using linux & its software, lots of free stuff.

        actually i do have the legal license and i was told i could NOT download the version i needed which is why i was forced to select the source i did.
        why lock the topic at all? from the way i see it the only reason to lock the topic was to silence people. what other reason might there be? i saw no foul language just a conversation. if you did not want to give that impression the topic should have remained open. i am in no way declaring i am not thankful for the help i received, nor did i ever make a statement of such. to say i did would only be to twist the topic around.
        to say you can only legally download this software from jelsoft is a complete misrepresentation of the truth as the law sees it. that was my point. that was my only point.
        remember...cracking and distrubing software is NOT illegal if the person receiving the software is already a licensed user of that particular software and abides by all laws (government laws) regarding software use. which i am and i do. it is only illegal to use software if you are not a licensed user. you can even have the software in your possession as long as you are not using it for its intended use. had i not been a licensed user then you would have had an issue here. and the real issue is if vbulletin had made the software available to me upon request as they are legally obligated to do this whole issue would have been avoided.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KUEI
          actually i do have the legal license and i was told i could NOT download the version i needed which is why i was forced to select the source i did.
          why lock the topic at all? from the way i see it the only reason to lock the topic was to silence people. what other reason might there be? i saw no foul language just a conversation. if you did not want to give that impression the topic should have remained open. i am in no way declaring i am not thankful for the help i received, nor did i ever make a statement of such. to say i did would only be to twist the topic around.
          to say you can only legally download this software from jelsoft is a complete misrepresentation of the truth as the law sees it. that was my point. that was my only point.
          remember...cracking and distrubing software is NOT illegal if the person receiving the software is already a licensed user of that particular software and abides by all laws (government laws) regarding software use. which i am and i do. it is only illegal to use software if you are not a licensed user. you can even have the software in your possession as long as you are not using it for its intended use. had i not been a licensed user then you would have had an issue here. and the real issue is if vbulletin had made the software available to me upon request as they are legally obligated to do this whole issue would have been avoided.
          I don't agree with you at all. Cracking and distrubuting software that you are not authorized to, is completely illegal. That's like stealing a tv and saying "Well, i have last year's model, so I didn't see the harm in stealing this year's model."

          Another thing, vBulletin can choose where and from who you are allowed to download their files. You agreed to a TOS and AUP when you bought vBulletin, and as long as you agree to that, vBulletin can write anything they wish. They could write that anyone who was under 110 could not buy the software. Not everyone would abide by that, but it would be perfectly legal on Jelsoft's case.

          Go tell a judge that you download cracks and distribute software that you already own, since it's perfectly legal.

          Comment


          • #6
            For the record, what you said you needed was repair.php, which is available in the vB 2.3.0 zip file.

            As for the topic, I don't know why it was locked. But honestly if we were out to 'silence' you, then you wouldn't be making the posts you are now.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

            Steve Machol Photography


            Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Steve Machol
              For the record, what you said you needed was repair.php, which is available in the vB 2.3.0 zip file.

              As for the topic, I don't know why it was locked. But honestly if we were out to 'silence' you, then you wouldn't be making the posts you are now.
              actually i was told to get the file from the extras folder of 2.2.9.
              i did not see an extras folder in 3.0 and it would be logical to me to assume you would use the correct repair file for the correct software.
              and it was not until i said i was able to download the software that canone gave me help on the matter. i was merely told by jake that 2.2.9 was not available to me. perhaps vbulletin can do themselves a favor and make all versions available for download to further avoid these hassles.

              and sebastian you are completely wrong on this issue.
              please go to donglefree.com and readup on the supreme courts rulings on this issue. the supreme court realized that the end user must be able to protect himself from the gouging software companies.

              my work here is done

              Comment


              • #8
                It was a misunderstanding. You had two separate threads going on. In one of them you simply asked for the 2.2.9 files without explaining that you really only needed repair.php. If you had stated that then Jake would have told you it was available in the 2.3.0 zip.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                Steve Machol Photography


                Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KUEI
                  perhaps vbulletin can do themselves a favor and make all versions available for download to further avoid these hassles.
                  They do not allow the downloading of older versions for various reasons, one of the biggest being for security. They work hard to make a stable and secure product and it does no good to allow the use of versions that have security holes in them.

                  Comment

                  widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X