What is a Hack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Hack?

Yep, newbie here (waving frantically and expecting the worst hazing possible).

In a nutshell, what is a "hack"?
    Paula

A code modification, that adds features or improves something.

Comment

its another name for what other board software call mods.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Yep, what you do is go along to www.vbulletin.org and find a hack you want to install. For the simplest hacks you'd just download a single text file, open it in Notepad and follow the instructions. The author will provide a bit of preamble to explain what the hack does and how complicated it is to install, it's history etc and the instructions will follow. They will say, for example, find this line of text in filename.php and either replace it with this line, or add this line underneath it or above it. If you use a decent editor like Dreamweaver MX or Ultra Edit you will be able to use the search and replace feature to make the process simpler and more accurate.

Sometimes a hack will require you to edit just the templates (known as template mods), or the templates as well as some PHP files or/and add some completely new files to your vBulletin installation folder. Then there are other hacks which necessitate running an SQL command or two from phpMyAdmin to change the database.

Comment

A hack is a modification to the Default vBullletin code. Its done to get more features and stuff

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone :-) I "assumed" that's what it meant.....but then again, you know what they say about "assuming" ;-) I appreciate the time you all took to respond -- it was very helpful.

....getting ready to leave the nest and commercial claws of ezboard...

Paula Slater
            Golden Skate
            Paula

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X