Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i move servers without Telnet access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i move servers without Telnet access?

I can ony find your instructions on moving servers with Telnet access?

There is no reliable way to do this. Your best bet would be to ask your host(s) to make and restore the backup for you.

If your database is small enough you may be able to use phpMyAdmin to make and restore the db backup. However this is subject to php timeouts and often is incomplete.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response!

My forums are very very small! www.glo-racing.com/forums
      So would it be possible for me to do a back up and then ask the host to the data back in?

And lastly,if i have created extra tables in MySQL, should i recreate that before dumping the data back in?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

You could do this but I would make sure the forum is correctly restored before giving up access to the old database.

I don't understand the question about the other tables though.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have 1 or 2 hacks installed and I believe that the hacks have created extra mysql tables.

I presume that i must install the full version of Vb and then the hacks, and finally apply the Mysql dump!

Comment

That sounds right.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hi Steve Is there a way to use the backup that is generated by VBulletin. I have no Telnet access on the server that is running my database at present but I do have it on the server I want to move to.... If I can’t use the file that is generated by VB what it the purpose of it?I do regular backups of my forum but if it ever died I wouldn’t have a clue how to restore it. I have a 20.6Meg file named forumbackup-04-11-2003.sql, this was generated within VB and sent to a chmod 777 dir on my server. I really need to get this sorted as I have tried to read some of the SQL Manuel but cant get my head round any of it. Lee

Comment

The *only* reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

As for the backup option in the Admin CP this suffers from the same limitations as phpMyAdmin which I outlined above. You can try it. If your database is small enough it might work. However you won't know for sure until you restore it and make sure all the data is intact.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK, Thanks for the reply firstly........

I think the best route for me to go is to ask my ISP to save the database for me in a dir on my site. Then FTP this to new server and go to step three of the moving server’s guide you posted above.

Please can you confirm what format I must ask my ISP to save the file as?
                  And is there any special requirements I must ask for?

Thanks, Lee....

Comment

Just have then use Step 1 here and it will be in the proper format:

P.S. That saves it an an ASCII file.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Just have then use Step 1 here and it will be in the proper format:

P.S. That saves it an an ASCII file.

Thanks Steve

I will say that VB is one of the best bits of software i have ever used and after installing some of the php stuff from www.vbulletin.org I have my boards just the way I want them.......

Great work mate !!!!

Lee

Comment

Hi Steve,

I have done the server move, and for the most part, it appears that the my new host has transfered all the data across, however there are some errors that i get now. Like

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/glo/public_html/forums/admin/config.php:40) in /home/glo/public_html/forums/admin/functions.php on line 1652

I have updated the config file, to reflect the correct server and mysql db names but there are some things that i cant fix, like now i cant sign in to my admin with the admin username and password.

Here's the url!
                        http://atlas.flexihostings.net/~glo/forums/

Your help is always appreciated!

Comment

You have extra space or lines in your config.php file. Make sure there is no whitespace or extras lines in config.php either before the <?php or after the ?>.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks SMACHOL

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X