Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricting forums...

Hi,

I need to be able to lock & block certain forums by user group...

I want to keep the forums visible but innaccesible to standard registered users or by user group...

I managed to do this by setting the permissions for each individual forum, however there is a problem with this method!

You can't stop members from viewing there own threads if they once had access to that section! Unless of course u remove the thread!

So the system is only truly affective for new users, but if you've removed a members access to those forums (restricted his access) he can still view his old threads!

How can I beat this?

Is there a way to make the forum always appear in the list... but locked for certain user groups & maybe have a custom message come up when they click the link?

Thx in advance....

I want to keep the forums visible but innaccesible to standard registered users or by user group...
    Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [Forums Home Page Options] -> Hide private forum -> No

With this option set to No, users will still be able to see forums they don't have access to.

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Permissions -> [edit] -> Can view forum -> No

This will make it so that user group gets a "no permission" error when they try to access that forum. They won't be able to view the thread listing in the forum.

Is there a way to make the forum always appear in the list... but locked for certain user groups & maybe have a custom message come up when they click the link?
    Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [Forums Home Page Options] -> Show Locked forums? -> Yes

A custom error message for each forum would require some file modifications. For help with that I recommend you post on www.vbulletin.org .

Comment

Thx 4 your help...

Unfortunatly that method contradicts some of my forums!

I still want my private forums to remain private & out of site (admin & mods forums).

I want the public forums to be visible but certain sections inaccessible by certain user groups

eg.

registerd = restricted
      premium members (members that donate) = access

Looks like I'm going to need a hack 4 this...
      Unless u know of any other way?
      I'v posted a request & vbulletin.org so hopefully something will come off

Cheers.

Comment

If you need "Hide private forum" On, then you will need to find another way to deal with the problem of users being able to see their own threads. The "other way" would be to modify some files.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X