Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Notifications Going to Wrong Users

Hi,

I've had a lot of users report recently that they have received email notifications for new posts that were intended for other users.

For example, a user may received an email notification for a thread they are not subscribed to and the mail will contain the username of another user.

Can anyone help?

I've never heard of this one before. Have you installed any hacks?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes, there are a few hacks installed, mainly layout. Nothing related to notifications though and these have been installed for ages and the problem has only just started occuring.

Comment

If it just started recently with no changes on your end, then this indicates it's a server issue. vB wouldn't just start randomly sending emails to the wrong accounts.

If you want us to look at thias you'll need to remove your hacks and fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/support_form.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Cheers Steve, but sounds like it will be easier debugging it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachael
            Cheers Steve, but sounds like it will be easier debugging it myself.
            I ran into this problem recently when I accidently trashed part of our database and then restored that part by hand from an old copy. The part that didn't get trashed included the subscribedforuim and subscribedthread tables, while the post, thread, etc tables got restored from the old backup. Because of this little boo-boo, new threads were being created that matched the old subscribed thread id's. People ended up getting email notification's for threads they never subscribed too and it was a mess.

Easy way to clear it up in my case was just to empty (not drop) my subscribedforum and subscribedthread tables. Everyone's subscriptions were wiped clean, but the problem was solved.

Comment

That's a good tip. The queries to do this are:

DELETE FROM subscribethread;
              DELETE FROM subscribeforum;

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Guys,

I tried that, but still having the same problems.

I've looked into the problem a bit more.

Users receive a reply notification, but other users also receive a copy of thisnotification. The copy they receive shows the 'To' header set the intended users email address, but for some reason the email address of the user that receives a copy has their email address set in the 'X-Envelope-To' header.

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

The 'X-Envelope-To' header is added by your server - not vB. You'll need to contact your host about this.

FWIW I looked at the headers in the email notification from my 2.3.0 forum and from this forum. Neither one has an 'X-Envelope-To' header. They both hae a 'Envelope-To' header that exactly matechs the address in the 'To' field.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Cheets Steve, I am chasing them now. Is this likely to be a PHP or SMTP server setting do you think?

Comment

My guess is that this is SMTP but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for certain.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X