Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Here is a good explanation of ssh:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...09&postcount=7

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You can try it but I cannot guarantee that those files are the correct ones and can be restored if needed. The only reliable way to backup and restore a db is through shell which I've already mentioned. My advice is that you ask your host to do this.

The database name is whatever you have assigned to it in config.php.

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    The actual database files generally cannot be accessed by normal users via ftp or shell. This is for security reasons. What I suggest is asking your host to make the db backuop for you. It should only take a couple of minutes and it's the least they can do for denying you ssh access.
    What is ssh please and on what system? My forum is on IIS machine.

Yes, I can access via ftp. So, can I just download all the files? There's a bunch of .frm, .myd, .myi files. Do all of those make up the database? There are no other file types in there.

I asked earlier what the name of the database is, please. Or is the database all these files?

So, if I have ftp access, can't I simply download these files to my hard drive?

And, when I laod back up, am I supposed to used ASCII or is that just for the php?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    The actual database files generally cannot be accessed by normal users via ftp or shell. This is for security reasons. What I suggest is asking your host to make the db backuop for you. It should only take a couple of minutes and it's the least they can do for denying you ssh access.

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    You will have to ask your host if you have telnet or ssh access then provide the details. You can order the Professional Upgrade service from the Members Area. The cost is $135.
    I've inquired of my isp about doing a telnet backup and this is his response:

TELNET allows system access and is a hacker's favorite. We don't even have it loaded on any machine, and if we did it would not allow you to do much because you can't run system-level programs.
    SSH, I think, is a UNIX thing - never heard of it in the Windows environment.

All these things are fine for people who own their own web servers and can get full access to everything. They aren't usable in a shared environment.

Is there a reason I can't just use ftp to downlaod the database onto my local hard drive as a backup?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You will have to ask your host if you have telnet or ssh access then provide the details. You can order the Professional Upgrade service from the Members Area. The cost is $135.

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    Generally the Techs don't work weekends but they might be available. You will need to place an order for the upgrade first. And I don't know if they make backups or not. However if you want them to then you will need to provide them with telnet or ssh access to do this.
    I have no idea to provide them with telnet or ssh access. Is this a permission that my isp would set? You mean an order for the upgrade installation? As a paying member, I'm already entitled to the upgrade code, so I assume you mean an order for upgrade assistance. Where do I do that please.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Generally the Techs don't work weekends but they might be available. You will need to place an order for the upgrade first. And I don't know if they make backups or not. However if you want them to then you will need to provide them with telnet or ssh access to do this.

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    Are the vBulletin people available to do an upgrade on the weekend? I assume the upgrade includes backing up my database? And, how would I reach them?

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    It depends what he means by 'drive'. But we would access it the same way your vB does.
    I don't know, he said something about D drive. I don't know how vB accesses it. I'm not a php or telnet person at all.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    It depends what he means by 'drive'. But we would access it the same way your vB does.

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    The upgrade instructions are here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/upgrade.html

The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Well, all the telnet/ssh stuff is totally over my head. I haven't a clue. I supposed I'll just have to pay the price for vBulletin people to upgrade for me.

I just talked to my isp and he says the actual database is on a different drive. How does vBulletin know where the database is?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    The upgrade instructions are here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/upgrade.html

The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    By the way, I don't see what you told me anywhere in the upgrade instructions. I did make a backup of my database. By the way, what is the file name of the database? When I look through all the files in my forum, I don't see a database file. Where is it stored?
    Last edited by cdaniel; Sat 14 Feb '04, 4:39pm.

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    You can't run 2.3.4 files with a 2.0.1 database and templates. I suggest you make a backup of your database and restore it to a test db. You can then try the upgrade process ion it without risking your live data. If all goes well, make another backup and then do the upgrade for real.
    By "restore it to a test.db" do you mean simply load it and all the files into a different directory. And, in the end, what makes a 2.0.1 database into a 2.3.4 one? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

And, what preserves my template customizations?

Leave a comment: