Text Field Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text Field Length

How do I increase the number of characters that I can put in the description field?

Which description field are you talking about?

Comment

If you mean forum descriptions, do this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...er+description

Comment

Great, I'll try that. two questions (that will prove my newbie status) - 1) in the following recommended script, does 'description' and 'title' actually get entered twice, or am I to replace that with other txt, 2) what specifies what the new length will be? Thanks!

<?php
        require("global.php");
        $DB_site->query("ALTER TABLE forum
        CHANGE description description MEDIUMTEXT NOT NULL");
        $DB_site->query("ALTER TABLE announcement
        CHANGE title title VARCHAR(100) NOT NULL");
        ?>

Comment

The query means change the 'description' column. When you do that, you have to supply the new name and characteristics. Since you don't want to change the name, it stays the same, and there is no specification for the length so running that script will make it so you can have an unlimited amount of text in the description.

All you have to do is copy the text from that post (the code part) into a file, upload, run, delete, then continue writing your huge description ;D

Comment

Originally posted by markraker
            Great, I'll try that. two questions (that will prove my newbie status) - 1) in the following recommended script, does 'description' and 'title' actually get entered twice, or am I to replace that with other txt, 2) what specifies what the new length will be? Thanks!

<?php
            require("global.php");
            $DB_site->query("ALTER TABLE forum
            CHANGE description description MEDIUMTEXT NOT NULL");
            $DB_site->query("ALTER TABLE announcement
            CHANGE title title VARCHAR(100) NOT NULL");
            ?>

Translated:
            "alter the table called 'forum' and change the description field to description (name remains the same) of type MEDIUMTEXT, not null."

The maximum size for mediumtext is 16777215.

as for the second:
            "alter the table called 'announcement' and change the title field to title (name remains the same) of type VARCHAR and size 100, not null."

I hope this helps.
            http://www.ffdiscovery.com/archives/...very_vborg.gif

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X