Is this possable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possable

Ok... i have a sql file (My old vb db) and its rather messy as its bean corrupted to many times to remember i have basicly fixed it and move it to my new server, what i want todo is remove ALL registered useids (accounts) from it and forums, just have the threads with the posts left... now, is this possable

Or can i say, attach the db to my new forum and delete all members? and forums and dump all threads into one forum? then merge the db into another new db that has bean setup already and being used?

I hope i'm making some scense out of this basicly i dont want the old members and forums added to my new forum, just the old posts with there threads.

Although I have never actually tried this (to scared) I'm sure its possible. Restore your database and then just EMPTY the users table. I'm also not exactly sure what the post's author will be - either Guest or Non Registered Poster Name

You talked about adding the old posts (restored) to your new board. Without a script, this would be a VERY messy mess. You would have the same postids and such. Somehow you need to give your old threads, new postids.
    Last edited by tgillespie; Fri 6th Jun '03, 1:12pm.
    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Indeed

Originally posted by tgillespie
      Although I have never actually tried this (to scared) I'm sure its possible. Restore your database and then just EMPTY the users table. I'm also not exactly sure what the post's author will be - either Guest or Non Registered Poster Name

You talked about adding the old posts (restored) to your new board. Without a script, this would be a VERY messy mess. You would have the same postids and such. Somehow you need to give your old threads, new postids.
      What i have done so far is made a backup of only the Forum, Thread, Post tables, anyone know if i can dump them over into my new database ?, after that i have deleted all users and just left 2 forums with all the threads+posts in them (Around 9000). i have deleted all posts upto postid 60 and threadid 17 witch if i dump into my new DB (witch only has 51 posts and 16 threads) will this work ? also the 2 forum IDs are up in the 180 mark so it shouldnt effect nothing yes ?

I am just waiting for my host to enable SSH access...

Comment

It would work. Might have some bugs at first but it seems to be fine. You really should get phpmyadmin for this as you could dump your mysql with just forum, thread, and post tables in it over your new forum. You could do it via Telnet but if you ran into some conflicts, it would be a little tough to change.

Im almost possitive it will work. Just be sure to make backups of both new and old forum.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
          It would work. Might have some bugs at first but it seems to be fine. You really should get phpmyadmin for this as you could dump your mysql with just forum, thread, and post tables in it over your new forum. You could do it via Telnet but if you ran into some conflicts, it would be a little tough to change.

Im almost possitive it will work. Just be sure to make backups of both new and old forum.
          Really ? but i have know idea how to use phpmyadmin can anyone tell me a step by step way of doing this then. I have my db sitting on my new server, what commands do i need to use ?

Comment

Do you have phpmyadmin installed on your server? Might need your providers to install it, but really it makes everything hella easier. I have trouble remembering Telnet CMDs.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Comment

If you want to delete all users but keep their posts - there's much more to it than just emptying the user table. You also have to empty userfield, privatemessage, set userid to 0 for all threads and posts et cetera.
              http://www.ffdiscovery.com/archives/...very_vborg.gif

Comment

The userfield and privatemessage tables wouldnt affect anything. It would just be wasted space. You would probably be better off emptying them too and I forgot, make sure as he said to set userid to 0 for all threads.

Hope that helped a little.

Comment

Working...
                X