Moderator, Super Moderator and Forum Permissions problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderator, Super Moderator and Forum Permissions problem

Ok, I'm confused. I don't fully understand the workings of Moderator vs Super Moderator groups. And then coupled with that confusion is the fact that one can "add" a Moderator to a forum, but not a Super Moderator. And then couple with that that each forum has permissions that can be setup for each of the Group-Types, including Moderator.

So, this is all too confusing so I guess I have to ask some specific question.

Putting aside the forum permissions question and leaving all the forum permissions, for the various groups, at their default:

1) I set my system up long ago and don't recall what groups came with the initial setup. There is currently a group called "Moderator" and one called "Super Moderator." Are these groups types required to use moderators and super moderators or is this likely just group names I made up to match those functions?

Additionally, if a person is just in "Registered" group and I make them a moderator of a particular group, do they have powers beyond what is given in "Registered" group? What?

2) Do moderators and super moderators have to be assigned to those groups to have those functions? I asked that because any group can also have "super moderator" functions, so it seems unnecessary to have a special group called "super moderator", unless you just want to change slightly the basic properties for that group.

3 It seems that the idea of a "Moderator" can be any person from any group that is "added" as a moderator to a particular forum. Does that person assigned, have any rights to moderator in any forum to which they are not assigned? Seems likely that the answer is no.

4) If a person is in say, MySpecialModGroup, and that groups has the "Is Super Moderator" box checked, what poweres do they have? They clearly have more powers than what is checked in the "MySpecialModGroup" setup form.

5) I guess what is really confusing is that it seems that all groups can basically be setup with the same functional capabiliy, including Admin, Moderator and Super Moderator. But if that is the case, then why the check box for Super Moderator. That seems to give additional powers that can't be setup in the group setup form.

For instance admin and super moderators can delete anyone's post but I don't see where that power is given. Perhaps is just hard coded in. But what other powers does super moderator have that are not obvious?

6) It also seems that there is no real reason to have a group called Moderator or Super Moderator. That anyone can be in any particular group and be designated as a moderator. And that any one group can be called anything like: Boss, Chief, HMFIC, etc and have moderator or super moderator capabilities. So, I'm confused by even having those group names (Moderator, Super Moderator).

7) It seems that the forum permissions information is a way to amend these group permissions. For instance a group might have basic permissions in all groups but be given additional permissions is one particular group or a group might some permissions taken away in a particular group.

But how does this apply to Admin and Super Moderator groups. Can a person be in a group that has Super Moderator permissions and have those permissions taken away only in one particular group. Does this apply to Admin groups.

8) Is there any difference between any group, with the
    "Is Super Moderator" and "Can access control panel" checked, and an Admin?

Slightly off-topic but related.

Is there any way to allow a certain group the permission to use HTML code within a post, while denying that to others. This would be very useful.
    Last edited by ipscone; Thu 5th Jun '03, 8:17am.

A Super Mod is essentially an Admin without access to the Admin CP. If you provide them with this access, then they are, for all intents and purposes, Admins.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks, that takes care of one of my questions.

I need answers to the other questions. Those answers will help me understand what all is necessary to have a moderator or a super moderator. For instance if I just add someone as a moderator,
      • what special rights do they have besides what is given for their group, which may not be a moderator group or super moderator group
      • Is it necessary to make changes with forum permissions for groups, just to assign a moderator?
      That's why I need to understand this and hence my questions above.

Thanks,

Comment

1. A Moderator only has the specific permissions for that user group in that forum. You can also modify the permissions of each Mod further in the Forums & Moderators section.

2. Not sure what this question means.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If you go back to my original set of questions and can provide answers to those, then I will have what I need. What I'm trying to do is understand all the possibilities of Moderator and Super Moderator.

It seems that I can assign people as moderators (the function) or any group as Super Moderator, without actually having any group called Moderator or Super Moderator.

You have to understand that I understand the ideas of Moderators but there are so many ways to put these to use that I need to understand the way these can be used in more detail.

So, if you understand why I'm asking these and address my original set of questions, we don't have to go back and forth with posts and replies.

Thanks,

Mike
          Last edited by ipscone; Thu 5th Jun '03, 10:30am.

Comment

Sorry but I thought my posts did answer the gist of those questions. What was not answered?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Nevermind!!

These forums are always so frustrating. Instead of just answering the specific questions asked, people answer "gists" of questions. The result is that we have to go back and forth.

If you just answered the questions asked originally, we likely wouldn't have had to have 4 additional posts.

I'm trying to get information so I can use moderators.

For instance (and don't bother answering this as if it were a real question; I'm just asking this because it illistrates how the answer you provided didn't clear up anything for me), if I don't have any groups whatsoever called "Moderator" or "Super Moderator" but have everyone in the "Registered" group and then decide to "Add" moderator and select someone from the "Registered" group, does that person have any additional powers?

It looks like the processing of "adding a moderator" using the Control Panel made them a Moderator, even if they were only in a "Registered" group. Your answer didn't help me with that problem. But had you answered my questions above, I might well have the answer.

I didn't want to post "how tos" for everything I want to do. So, I narrowed my learning down to 8 or so questions at the top.

But Nevermind, I'll try to find the information somewhere else or by experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by ipscone
                For instance (and don't bother answering this as if it were a real question; I'm just asking this because it illistrates how the answer you provided didn't clear up anything for me), if I don't have any groups whatsoever called "Moderator" or "Super Moderator" but have everyone in the "Registered" group and then decide to "Add" moderator and select someone from the "Registered" group, does that person have any additional powers?
                As I posted earlier they will have whatever Mod powers you give them in the Forums & Moderators section.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by ipscone
                  Ok, I'm confused. I don't fully understand the workings of Moderator vs Super Moderator groups. And then coupled with that confusion is the fact that one can "add" a Moderator to a forum, but not a Super Moderator. And then couple with that that each forum has permissions that can be setup for each of the Group-Types, including Moderator.

So, this is all too confusing so I guess I have to ask some specific question.

Putting aside the forum permissions question and leaving all the forum permissions, for the various groups, at their default:

1) I set my system up long ago and don't recall what groups came with the initial setup. There is currently a group called "Moderator" and one called "Super Moderator." Are these groups types required to use moderators and super moderators or is this likely just group names I made up to match those functions?

Additionally, if a person is just in "Registered" group and I make them a moderator of a particular group, do they have powers beyond what is given in "Registered" group? What?

2) Do moderators and super moderators have to be assigned to those groups to have those functions? I asked that because any group can also have "super moderator" functions, so it seems unnecessary to have a special group called "super moderator", unless you just want to change slightly the basic properties for that group.

3 It seems that the idea of a "Moderator" can be any person from any group that is "added" as a moderator to a particular forum. Does that person assigned, have any rights to moderator in any forum to which they are not assigned? Seems likely that the answer is no.

4) If a person is in say, MySpecialModGroup, and that groups has the "Is Super Moderator" box checked, what poweres do they have? They clearly have more powers than what is checked in the "MySpecialModGroup" setup form.

5) I guess what is really confusing is that it seems that all groups can basically be setup with the same functional capabiliy, including Admin, Moderator and Super Moderator. But if that is the case, then why the check box for Super Moderator. That seems to give additional powers that can't be setup in the group setup form.

For instance admin and super moderators can delete anyone's post but I don't see where that power is given. Perhaps is just hard coded in. But what other powers does super moderator have that are not obvious?

6) It also seems that there is no real reason to have a group called Moderator or Super Moderator. That anyone can be in any particular group and be designated as a moderator. And that any one group can be called anything like: Boss, Chief, HMFIC, etc and have moderator or super moderator capabilities. So, I'm confused by even having those group names (Moderator, Super Moderator).

7) It seems that the forum permissions information is a way to amend these group permissions. For instance a group might have basic permissions in all groups but be given additional permissions is one particular group or a group might some permissions taken away in a particular group.

But how does this apply to Admin and Super Moderator groups. Can a person be in a group that has Super Moderator permissions and have those permissions taken away only in one particular group. Does this apply to Admin groups.

8) Is there any difference between any group, with the
                  "Is Super Moderator" and "Can access control panel" checked, and an Admin?

Slightly off-topic but related.

Is there any way to allow a certain group the permission to use HTML code within a post, while denying that to others. This would be very useful.
                  Question 1: These are normal vBulletin groups, which come as standard with your vBulletin forum.

As for the registered part, I do not understand what you are asking

Question 2: It is better to move a user into one of the above groups, as that stops the general ability to use moderator powers being given to registered members - If you are talking about other groups, why not make them Moderators / Super Moderators?

Question 3: You are of course correct, unless:

a.) They are an Administrator or Super Moderator in addition to being the named moderator of that forum
                  b.) They are in any other usergroup with Super Moderator permissions
                  c.) They are a moderator of a forum with sub-forums in, as they will have moderator control of those forums as well

Question 4: If you create another group with the "Is Super Moderator" option set to yes, on the forums they are essentially Super Moderators

Question 5: I am afraid I do not understand what you are asking

Question 6: With all forums, someone who has control over a forum is called a "Moderator", therefore making the naming of the groups logical - You can, by all means, alter the names of these groups to your liking

Question 7: Yes - You can set even more permissions via enabling Access masks, meaning individual users can be denied or allowed access to certain forums, no matter what their usergroup

Question 8: In actual matter of fact, there may be some difference - Some elements of vBulletin work on the "ismoderator" (Is Super Moderator) and "cancontrolpanel" (Can access control panel) settings, and some based upon the Admin's usergroup being id 6. Also, on features such as Who's Online, the users in that group will not show up with the Italic and Bold username - But in essence, there is very little difference.

Your Final Question: This is a vBulletin hack, which can be found here (vBulletin.org) - You will need to register there, and use the Search facility to search for HTML per User in the Full Releases forum

I hope I have been able to answer most of your questions

Satan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X